Custom bumper support beam

akoutmos

Reaction score
I'm back at doing custom work. Glad to be out of an apartment and back in a house again. Nothing beats having your own garage :). First order of business, get the accord ready for some serious autoX. That means slimming her down and lighten the load the Euro R H22 has to carry.

The first custom part to build, the front bumper support beam. The stock piece is fairly heavy, and the mounts are pretty thin sheet metal. In addition, it's HUGE!! Anyone boosting the accord knows the difficulty of fitting a good size intercooler in there. Not saying i'm going boost any time soon....... :p.

On to some pics and some design decisions :)

Material's of choice:
Mounting brackets will be made of A36 steel. 0.1875" thick
Support beam will be made of rectangular tubing. Specifically A513 steel. 1" x 2.5" @ 0.12" thick

Fabrication process:
All components are prototyped out of cardboard (CAD or cardboard aided design :p), and then metal templates are created by plasma cutting around the cardboard. This creates a concave template which can be reused to create identical parts with a good degree of accuracy and repeatability. After all the parts are templated out, they are TIG welded together using the stock piece and Accord as the jig to ensure proper fit.

Pictures of the work so far:
accord.jpg

stock_beam.jpg

plate_tube.jpg

the_shop.jpg

cad_template.jpg

metal_template.jpg

weld.jpg

back_plates.jpg

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice, lookin good! It's great to see someone still innovating with a 6GA. What CAD program do you use? I use Artios at my job for designing corrugated parts, then cut the parts out on a Kongsberg table.

Glad you're not plasma cutting galvanized steel. :lawl:

akoutmos

Reaction score
Thanks :). I use Solidworks whenever i need to model something and do finite element analysis. For this one, no modeling software was used, just cardboard lol. "Cardboard Aided Design".

A CNC plasma cutter would make my life WAAAAYYYYYY easier :p. Next on the purchase list lol. After a lathe and mill.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Hey, glad to see you back and at it Alex! I'm right on the verge of being back myself lol. I'll hit you up soon one of these days to talk tuning - regarding Accord, and Integra GSR going to run AEM EMS on both. Can't wait to see the result of this fab project, I still have your old oil catch can lol.

akoutmos

Reaction score
Any time man :). Always down to tune with AEM. These days I'm running Hondata....but my tuning skills are as potent as ever ;).

Back