Time to replace clutch?

kamozee

Reaction score
Only reason why I posted here is because I could buy it tomorrow so it will make it to the USA in time for vacation next week.

I've heard about when you notice the RPM's behaving erratically that it's time to think about the clutch. Well this happened to me on Sunday on the way to write my board exams. The thing is that it hasn't happened again since

I have 190k (~120k mi) on the car with original clutch. Should I be proactive and change it now?

I am not having the gear slip out, shifts are not difficult and no funny smell. It was just the one trip that I noticed the rev's between 2-3 at every gear.

It only happened that one day and I've driven daily since then. Mostly highway driving just like on Sunday.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Get the car to about 35 and put it in 5th. The car should struggle to accelerate and the RPM's should stay stable. If the clutch is bad itll be pretty obvious what happens.

kamozee

Reaction score
Get the car to about 35 and put it in 5th. The car should struggle to accelerate and the RPM's should stay stable. If the clutch is bad itll be pretty obvious what happens.

35mph is about 55km/h or do you mean 3500rpm?

baerj1

Reaction score
alot of things could cause what you are experiancing i would def diag it further before throwing a clutch at it.... maybe vtec kicking in and out?

JordanFleenor

Reaction score
I drove on a bad clutch for awhile. So if it is just doing it you have time. My rpms would bounce around anytime I was on a decent size incline or trying to accelerate quickly. When does your clutch let out? Is in around the middle or near the end?

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
I would say with that many miles on the original clutch, it's probably on it's way out. As for the only noticing it on the one trip, maybe the trans was getting overheated a bit and causing the slippage.

kamozee

Reaction score

I gave it a a try and the car still accelerated.

I drove on a bad clutch for awhile. So if it is just doing it you have time. My rpms would bounce around anytime I was on a decent size incline or trying to accelerate quickly. When does your clutch let out? Is in around the middle or near the end?

It was in the middle of the acceleration, so not right after I shift. And it hasn't happened since Sunday :eh:

I would say with that many miles on the original clutch, it's probably on it's way out. As for the only noticing it on the one trip, maybe the trans was getting overheated a bit and causing the slippage.

That's what I'm thinking happened...need to take it to my mechanic to know for sure.

Last edited:

kamozee

Reaction score
By the way, what's the labour involved in replacing the clutch? Do they have to remove the engine to access it?

Back