Gear oil leak after axle replaced

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
I learned the rules of the CV axle seals. On any car, If you don't use a seal protector, It breaks EVERY SINGLE TIME you replace the CV.

Not true. I've replaced axles on my old 4th gen, as well as a friends CRX, and a Ponitac Grand Prix, and none of those sprung a leak after.

But for $10, and 5 minutes of labor, you can be sure I'll be replacing them every time from now on.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Well according to my repair manual, it'll leak no matter what if you don't drain the trans fluid before taking the axle off. If its leaking with the axle on you have a seal issue

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
I had the same issue when I replaced my axels, the seal probably got torn while installing or just got worn. I replaced it with a seal from Autozone and it still wouldnt work but crossed referenced as the same part number from Honda. Finally I went to get the seal directly from Honda and it was slightly different after I put the seal from Honda in my leak stopped.

RobS763

Reaction score
the axle seal can get damaged pretty easily from removal and installation. Unfortunetly its very common.

mx5kev

Reaction score
Hi, I bump the subject because I have the same problem, causing a massive leak on my car. However, what is the normal play of the shaft head in the differential? Because I think mine is moving a bit to much and may cause the leak?? Thanks for your help.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
There will be a little bit of in/out play, maybe between 1/8" and 1/4"...that's a complete guess, trying to think back to when I did my axles. It's all about rotating the axle and pushing until the snap ring is in the right place, then you should feel/hear it click into place when inserting it into the trans.

mx5kev

Reaction score
Well thanks, I do really think there is too much play in mine. I've ordered a new shaft on rockauto, hope the quality will be ok, and new seal at my Honda Dealer, we'll see if it solves the problem. The former seal had the spring that came out and was snapped, replaced the seal, but it is still leaking massively. Well hope I'll have the parts for saturday, and that'll solve the problem.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Good luck, I hope that fixes it for you. I would recommend OEM axles but I realize they are expensive. I bought mine from Bernardi parts online, that was the cheapest I could find them. I bought the wrong seals when I replaced my axles so kept the originals on.

mx5kev

Reaction score
In France, it's about 450$ just for the shaft end, 1200$ for the complete shaft by Honda...

Online dealers do not ship outside the state anymore, found one that does it anyway, but the shipping is quite high.

We'll see.

Back