Difference between 4cyl and v6 exhaust

walshbj19

Reaction score
yeah...i get that theres the two mufflers and the y-pipe and all im not retarded but how far back are the two systems different? how much custom work would need to be done to fit a v6 system on to a 4cyl...if possible at all?

dynasty

Reaction score
yeah, i want to know what's the differences in hp. i would if you would lose hp if you convert v6 to i4.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
it'll mostly be for looks... u'll lose back-pressure, which means u lose torque... unless if u go FI that is :D and why FI is ok u ask? cos FI needs a free-flowing exhaust sytem... NA on the other hand needs back-pressure.. hope tht helps

Jeffro

Reaction score
The v6 has a little muffler just after the Cat too, its not straight pipe to the rear muffler...IMO, with that much work to customize, you may as well just get a custom pipe made and save yourself the trouble of trying to convert it and make it halfway functional.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Jeffro said:
The v6 has a little muffler just after the Cat too, its not straight pipe to the rear muffler...IMO, with that much work to customize, you may as well just get a custom pipe made and save yourself the trouble of trying to convert it and make it halfway functional.

i think the part u're describing is the resonator... imo, it's easy to custom fit any muffler/ catback systems onto any car...worst case scenario, u'll have to cut some of the piping... hell, my exhaust system is a freakin hybrid lol... 4 banger greddy SP catback piping with 7th gen WS2 muffler :rock:

Jeffro

Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
i think the part u're describing is the resonator... imo, it's easy to custom fit any muffler/ catback systems onto any car...worst case scenario, u'll have to cut some of the piping... hell, my exhaust system is a freakin hybrid lol... 4 banger greddy SP catback piping with 7th gen WS2 muffler :rock:

Maybe. I looked in my Haynes and it calls it a muffler...

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Jeffro said:
Maybe. I looked in my Haynes and it calls it a muffler...

haha... tht's weird... anyways, ALL cars have resonators from the factory... tht's the thing tht keeps the exhaust system quiet

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Basically, It wouldn't make sence to get a dual exhaust for a 4cyl.
You'll lose back puressure which will result in a loss of torque.
The V6 exhaust goes like this

two headers and downpipes that merge into one pipe before the cat. Then splits off back into two pipes at teh rear axles resulting in two mufflers

Jeffro

Reaction score
It sounds like he wants to go the other way... From a v6 exhaust to a 4-cyl (dual to single, so to speak). Am I the only one understanding it that way?

Back