Timing Belt Service Check List (*Update*)

Accord_B

Reaction score
I have about 160,000 miles on my accord that I recently picked up from my stepfather. To my understanding the timing belt has never been changed and I know that is something that needs to be handled ASAP. I have a mechanic set to service my timing belt but before I bring it in to him I want to get a check list together of all the parts I should have him service while he does this job. I'm planning on purchasing the timing belt package from TAS Auto. Are there any other things I should buy and have done? Does anyone have an opinion on if i should go with an OEM water pump as opposed to the one included in the TAS Auto package? Obviously there are other post on this subject but I want to consolidate all the information and maybe gain some new info to obtain a legit Check list. Thank you for your time.

*Update*​
I decided to order the timing belt kit from DCH Honda. Along with the kit I ordered two separate belts and a slave cylinder. My mechanic put it all on for me in two days for a total of $400. After the drive home I can say that everything appears to be well. I do notice a few different "hums" from the engine but I think I can credit it to the new belts. I would strongly recommend doing business with DCH Honda if you are looking for similar parts. They were affordable, easy to work with, and I had no problems. Thank you to everyone that contributed to this post. 6thgenaccord.com has been a great tool and I'm proud to be part of it. I will update this post again if need be. Peace.

Last edited:

poff1986

Reaction score
Re: Timing Belt Service Check List

OEM timing and balancer belts, OEM water pump, cam seal, balancer shaft seal and retainer, accessory drive belts. (cam seal and balancer shaft seal because these are the most common to cause oil leaks from the timing cover, highly suggest balancer seal retainer if needed, cant remember if it has one on it stock or not, if not put one on, balancer shaft seals were common to just "pop" out and pour the oil out) No need for a crank seal unless it is leaking, definatly suggest replacing OEM for the seals. Good luck!

Accord_B

Reaction score

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I want to do everything I can to make this process go well. The following is the list I have compiled to bring to my mechanic. If anyone believes there is something I should add please add it to the post.

1.OEM Timing belt
2.OEM Balancer belts
3.OEM Water pump
4.OEM Cam seal
5.OEM Balancer shaft seal and retainer
6.Accessory drive belts
7.Valve cover gasket

Last edited:

kamozee

Reaction score

What about the timing belt tensioner and balance belt tensioner?

kamozee

Reaction score

I found this auction on ebay, all genuine OEM Honda parts

click here

Includes the following for $147:
Front main (crank) seal oem part # 91212-PAA-A01
Front oil pump (drive) seal oem part # 15114-PT0-003
Balance shaft seal oem part # 91233-PT0-003
Timimg belt oem part # 14400-PAA-A02
Balance belt oem part # 13405-PAA-A03
Cam seal oem part # 91213-PT0-003
Water pump oem part # 19200-P0A-003
Valve cover gasket oem part # 12341-P0A-000
Spark plug tube seals x 4 oem part # 12342-RYE-004 X 4 (OLD# 12342-P2F-A01)

Balance belt tensioner and timing belt tensioner can both be added for $47 each, so is it worth it?

nexTOme

Reaction score

i have to change mine soon :sad:

poff1986

Reaction score

They are not terrible to do, a little teadious, also you dont have to replace the tensioners unless its a v6 one then you may want to replace it for preventative maintenance, ive seen very few go bad on the 4cyl. a few on the v6's but dont get noticed til the t-belt covers are removed.

Back