DIY: "Black chrome" and carbon fiber front emblem

HomerJay

Reaction score
I was originally going to simply spray tint my emblems. After prepping the original front "H" that was on my car, I noticed the black plastic back was rather nasty. I know it won't stay nice but I wasn't going to put all this work into painting only to back it up with this:

20080118-01.jpg

Then I realized I had some money in Paypal. I've always liked the carbon fiber emblems but I don't like the chrome. I started looking around and found carbon fiber sheeting available for less than my Paypal balance...:p...carbon fiber is a quite expensive ($40 w/ shipping for ~8.5"x11" sheet).

Before:

20080118-02.jpg

Front and rear emblems after tint (before clear coat):

20080118-03.jpg

Rear "ACCORD" emblem after tint (before clear coat):

20080118-04.jpg

I also had enough in Paypal for carbon fiber eyelids. Since it's gotten cold, I'm waiting until the spring to put them on.

This is a picture of the first carbon fiber piece I tried cutting:

20080118-05.jpg

The first one ended up askew and I messed up the holes when drilling them. Thankfully, the carbon fiber is easily cut with ordinary scissors. I didn't have quite the right size drill bit so on the second one I used a smaller bit, taped the plastic back (on top of blue masking tape roll on the left) to the carbon fiber piece, drilled starter holes, and enlarged the holes with an Xacto knife.

If I were to do this again, I would be sure to cover the entire front face of the carbon fiber with masking tape to avoid scuff marks. The marks were luckly not large enough to be noticable after applying the clear coat.

The carbon fiber I bought matches the eyelids PERFECTLY!!...:)

20080118-06.jpg

After the tint I wanted was reached, I applied clear coat to both the "H" and the carbon fiber piece.

Front "H" and carbon fiber after clear coat and light polish:

20080118-07.jpg

Assembled:

20080118-08.jpg

...and installed:

20080118-09.jpg

Overall, I'm really happy with the results!...:)...now for spring to roll around so I can install the eyelids.

This is the carbon fiber I used:
0.023 Twill-Weave Carbon Fiber Sheet 11x8-No Adhesive

Last edited:

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
nice job. i'm diggin' it! i would like to paint the backing of the emblem the same color of my car, Naples Gold, but I don't know how I would do that without taking it to a pro.

i might have to do this too if I don't figure out how to do the oem paint behind it. :D

PROJECT H

Reaction score
so you can use just any black paint for the emblems??

looks like a pretty nice diy... i wanna try it too!

hendizzlez

Reaction score
awesome diy :D maybe i'll do it! alex, u wana split the roll of cf wrap? hahaha we'll do the emblems together :roy:

HomerJay

Reaction score
nice job. i'm diggin' it! i would like to paint the backing of the emblem the same color of my car, Naples Gold, but I don't know how I would do that without taking it to a pro.

i might have to do this too if I don't figure out how to do the oem paint behind it. :D
Sorry about that. I forgot the first step (for a 2001, at least; my "grille" is built into the front bumper). In order to remove the emblem, I needed to remove the bumper.

Once the emblem has been removed, the silver "H" can be separated from the background as shown in the first picture. It just takes a while to get started; there is no glue but it's a snug fit.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
The CF backing has already been done....however, your DIY is worthy.....!

I like the touch with spraying the emblems. Nice touch. :thumbsup:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I forgot the first step (for a 2001, at least; my "grille" is built into the front bumper). In order to remove the emblem, I needed to remove the bumper.

Once the emblem has been removed, the silver "H" can be separated from the background as shown in the first picture. It just takes a while to get started; there is no glue but it's a snug fit.

BTW, not true. You should be able to use a ratchet and get that off, that's all I needed, I didn't need to remover the whole bumper....:hide:

Pretty sure, cantaffordaccord, didn't need to remove his bumper either.

Oh yeah, he and I are the other's that I know of that have already done the CF back plates! :hihi:

Back