Trans Filter and Cooler DIY

nixed007

Reaction score
Someone requested a DIY for this in one of my other threads. Like I told them this was my first diy and so its not top notch... Plus the engine is embarrassingly dirty.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
(7.22.2008)
This was the start of a DIY that and up going into the late hours on a week night so Its not fully compete however I will post some pictures that we did take below. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to give you the information you are looking for.

First Remove Battery
IMG_6020.jpg

This view shows the existing trans cooler which i choose to leave on. I will more then likely remove this and relocate my lines to reduce warmup times and to give me extra room if I ever make the jump to a turbo ...
IMG_6021.jpg

I drilled a small hole in the fire wall just above the steering column to run the wires for my trans temp guage and volt meter. It was easier then running threw some of the existing holes and i figure i will be using it again with up coming projects.
IMG_6024.jpg

For the transmission temp sensor I purchased (1) brass tee, (2) brass 3/8" dia. hose fittings, and (1) 3/8 -> 1/8" npt thread adapter and spliced it into the exiting flow of transmission fluid. This allowed me to simply thread my sensor into the Tee fitting without tapping into the transmission pan.
IMG_6026.jpg

The rubber hose on top is returning to the transmission and the hose on bottom is exiting the transmission... (this is what i understand so please correct me if i am wrong)
IMG_6027.jpg

this shows the sensor, the black wire runs to an engine ground the white into the transmission temp gauge to provide the temp reading
IMG_6029.jpg

After everything was installed. Overall the project was not to hard I purchased an addition 3 feet of transmission hose and used that for the filter installation. I will take some better pictures of how I attached the cooler and ran the piping.
IMG_6028.jpg

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
hm... it doesnt seem like its a step by step to me so i dont understand lols. dont worry this will help a lot of people that understands. gj on it. :lawl:

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
goood job on diy :beer:
i had the b&m filter for 1 year then it started leaking on me. switched to the magnfine filter, easy to install and replace.

Last edited:

nixed007

Reaction score
^How often do you replace the magnfine filter? The B&M is nice because it holds almost a full quart of extra fluid but idk i just keep dreaming of a 6 speed

Oh, and like i said this was my first diy that i did about six months ago and i had work the next day we got done with the wiring at 2:00am so I stopped taking pictures. However, I still need to bypass the cooler, and sometime soon, as the winter weather isn't letting it get up to temp. So when i bypass the cooler i will take some more pics.

Last edited:

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
replaced the filter once a year.

step by step lemmie :slap:

my petite hands are small enough to install the cooler without taking off the bumper
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Thanks for the DIY's guys, I think I'll be getting this done come the spring.

nixed007

Reaction score
xi0utlawstarix you were the one that gave me the original step by step. I knew there was another one out there but doing a quick search on here i couldn't find it so i figured it was on some other site.

Three Questions for you:
Did you mount your filter after the cooler? I am sure it doesn't matter but i was just wondering
also did you bypass the existing cooler?
And last what temps are you running?

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol torny im still lost but i think i will get it more once i acutally buy the tranny cooler. hehe thx :skurred:

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
i did :thinking:...probably on v6p

stock cooler ----> aftermarket cooler ----> filter

i even put colored shapes as a guideline for you lemmie :slap:

Last edited:
Back