Trans Filter and Cooler DIY

SouthStar019

Reaction score
nixed i am with you i want to find a bypass valve that will not will let the fluid pass the second cooler while the car is still warming up but the fluid to still go through the filter. just have to find this valve.

jwong512

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm thinking of installing a tranny cooler as well. I plan on installing the big radiator style one and I have a couple of questions.

First: Is it possible to install this without even messing with the sensors and just hooking up the existing cooler to the new cooler?

Second: What exactly is the OEM one in front of the radiator? Is it a cooler or filter or both? I have never cleaned it so should I disconnect it, pour some clean ATF in it, shake it around, and pour it back out to clean it?

Third: I'm deciding to use both if I get this new cooler and people have claimed that warm up times have increased. How much does it increase by? I don't mind waiting longer but it would be nice to know how much longer I would have to wait.

I plan on buying the Heavy Duty with Super Cool from Torqflo from Autozone for $59.99. I know I don't push my car hard all the time but I would rather play it safe and run it at the coolest temps possible considering I live in LA so there is always traffic and the transmission is constantly shifting up and down.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
So I read this thread, I disagree with a few things here. First of all, the picture shows the cooler mounted with IN line on top OUT on bottom, supposed to be opposite, so the cooler can get completely filled (stacked coolers) for best results in/out has to point UP, and if mounted sideways IN should be bottom(manufacture setting). Also a member says to put the aftermarket cooler in line after the stock (radiator) cooler, it supposed to go inline before the radiator, simply because the radiator cools it already, then the aftermarket one cools it even more, and if we talking winter time here, the fluid going back to transmission is COLD, and supposed to be around above 160 degrees. Otherwise if it's too cold, the radiator will warm it up

Back