Modding a 98-00 front lip to fit 02 bumper

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Ok I had bought a front lip for my 02 and realized it was for the 98-00 eventhough I specified that I had an 02 front bumper. So since it was already to late to return it I decided what the hell, I'll just make it fit since some other people have already done this and it would be fun. The only difference I found to be on this lip rather than an 02 lip is the top of the front lip. since the 98-00 have the one big opening and the 01-02 front bumpers have a smaller opening and 2 side openings for foglights. So here gos

Tools:

Small bladed hack saw with a very fine blade to cut ABS plastic without cracking the plastic. I opted to use the hacksaw over a dremel but you can use either one.

Pros of hacksaw - inexspensive, more control
Cons of hacksaw - less even cut, takes longer

Pros of dremel - Fast, consistant cut
Cons of dremel - Will melt / crack plastic if not careful, less control, more exspensive.

those pros and cons are from my experiences with them, either way it'll work

Work bench where you can use some kind of clamps to clamp down the actual front lip while cutting. Trust me it helps.

Phillips head screw driver for the mounting screws - some dont include them but mine did

Double sided automotive tape - make sure its heavy duty. I skipped this for now since I am going to take it back off and paint it.

...Yes, I know I could have sold the lip and bought one specifically for an 02 but, if you are anything like me you love to get your hands dirty and a challenge. so

1st step is you get your work bench situated....like this

icjrxs.jpg

29e6b6p.jpg

2nd grab your very fine bladed small hacksaw...the one I used looks like this

2d2g278.jpg

I was to lazy to wear some kind of mask but I'm sure ABS plastic dust is not the best to breathe in so I would recomend some kind of mask...like the paper ones the doctors wear..

First I took the lip and put it up to my car and eyeballed a rough measurement of how much would have to be taken off each side of the top part of the lip. I roughly estimated around 10 inches off each side.

1in8qx.jpg

Next I started to cut..Make sure you are careful with this part, I opted to cut little pieces at a time like this

34s2vjp.jpg

After cutting both sides like this..

cuxqq.jpg

I took some course sand paper and made sure to smooth out the rough parts and clean up the cut areas a bit..

Next I used some painters tape and test fitted the lip to my car. To my surprise it was an almost perfect fit with a minor gap which is not even noticeable unless you get about 4 inches away from the lip when it is on the front bumper. So I was very very pleased.

209k0p0.jpg

2h84mk7.jpg

I did go back and trim a little more on one side with a utility knife to make the left side a little more flush. So heres how I mounted it. I drilled 2 very very small holes in the front of the lip where the top of the lip lays inside the front bumper grill like this. And then screwed to finishing screws into the top of the front lip. I also screwed one finishing screw on each side where the lip meets the wheel well like this.

2q3nfaw.jpg

255onqv.jpg

So far I have had no problems with the lip and love the way it looks. So just incase you were wondering how hard it would be to mod a 98-00 lip to an 02 bumper like me, here it is, very very easy. Took me about an hour.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, all I had on me at the time.

And yes I know I need to go lower, my coilovers will be installed tomorrow by me

Last edited:

Deshon2688

Reaction score
:thumbup: nice writeup, I'll need to do this eventually since they dont even make 02 sedan lips

sweagle02

Reaction score
Yes there are, you just have to search around

it's been ridiculously hard to find one man. A rear lip also. Don't mean to threadjack but would u have any idea where I'd be able to find any without modding to fit like eBay?

Back