LED Brake Bulbs, No Load Resistors and No Brake Light Indicator!

HomerJay

Reaction score
I think this is the right forum for this info.

I had changed to LED brake bulbs from Super Bright a while back. I knew I'd run into the constant brake light indicator (under the temp/fuel gauge). Since my inspection is around the corner, I didn't want any extra lights on the dash; especially ones that might raise questions.

I found info online that all it took was grounding one wire from the brake light failure sensor connector. So I tracked down a Honda 6 pin male connector, pigtails and other connectors to ground that wire. As it turns out, grounding the wire made the brake light sensor stay on even before I pressed the brake pedal.

Just for the fun of it, I disconnected the wire altogether (i.e. no ground). I am now using LED brake bulbs, no load resistors and the brake light indicator is not on. Brake lights operate as normal.

Here's what I did (of course, no guarantees, not responsible for any damage, etc.) It is suggested that the battery be disconnected whenever messing with wiring.

1. Locate the brake light failure sensor. This is a small black box (about 3"x3") attached to the trunk wall on the driver's side behind the trunk carpet. Essentially on the other side of the trunk wall from the driver's side brake light. Note that I have a coupe so I'm not sure if it's different for sedans.
  2. Remove the 6 pin connector from sensor.
  3. Carefully the "secondary lock" from the connector. Directly to the right of the white w/ black stripe wire below, you can see the clip that holds the lock in place. There is one lock on each side.
    PA070569.jpg

4. Remove the white (w/ green stripe) wire from the connector. Each wire is held by a small plastic tab. When looking at the front end of the connector you'll see a series of tabs towards the middle of the connector. Carefully lift the tab for the white (w/ green stripe) wire and gently pull the wire out. I used a small jeweler's screwdriver for this.
    PA070570.jpg

5. Isolate the end of the wire. You can use shrink wrap, electrical tape or another means. I just used an extra connector that I had bought (since I thought I'd need to ground the cable and it wasn't worth returning).
    PA070571.jpg

6. Plug the 6 pin connector back into the brake light failure sensor.

Not only does the brake light indicator remain off when using my brakes, it continues to operate as if I were using regular bulbs. In other words, when I first turn the key, the indicator lights and then goes off when starting the car.

Mikey

Reaction score
This is similar to the "brown box" mod you have to do in order to run LEDs in the older OBD-1 Accords.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
same deal with the "brown wire trick" for sleep eye mod on s13's. good info man! now if you pull a bulb out will the brake indicator come on? I believe that would be the best way to test if it still works since a blown bulb would be the same in a circuit as no bulb.

PS. on sedans I'm pretty sure its attached to the back of the drivers side outer taillight. I installed red clears tonight and noticed a six or so wire connector going to what I figured was a relay or something. I'm assuming thats the brake fail sensor.

Last edited:

HomerJay

Reaction score
same deal with the "brown wire trick" for sleep eye mod on s13's. good info man! now if you pull a bulb out will the brake indicator come on? I believe that would be the best way to test if it still works since a blown bulb would be the same in a circuit as no bulb.

PS. on sedans I'm pretty sure its attached to the back of the drivers side outer taillight. I installed red clears tonight and noticed a six or so wire connector going to what I figured was a relay or something. I'm assuming thats the brake fail sensor.
I'm pretty sure this disables the brake light failure sensor. My assumption is that load resistors also effectively disable the failure sensor. If an LED bulb fails in either case, the indicator won't light...at least I don't think it would. Unless the load resistor were defective, too.

Since the indicator was on permanently when I grounded this wire (i.e. even before I pressed the pedal; this when it would come on before this change) I assume that the box is sending the wire to ground when a bulb is determined to be out.

I only did this because I'm using LED bulbs and the sales pitch with LED bulbs is they effectively never burn out so a bulb out indicator is no longer needed (in theory, at least).

More than anything, I didn't want to splice any wires or deal with load resistors unless absolutely necessary. Not only is an inspection around the corner but the red light was getting annoying at night.

Bax

Reaction score
nice, I'll have to remember this thread if/when I get led bulbs.
any pics of your taillights btw?

AngusTEx

Reaction score
:eusa_doh:

I've had all rear LED bulbs for 2 years and had to live with the annoying red 'Brake Light' indicator hoping that bulb would burn out before I did. :hihi:

Thanks a ton, HJ!!!

Johnnymorris

Reaction score
I think this is the right forum for this info.

I had changed to LED brake bulbs from Super Bright a while back. I knew I'd run into the constant brake light indicator (under the temp/fuel gauge). Since my inspection is around the corner, I didn't want any extra lights on the dash; especially ones that might raise questions.

I found info online that all it took was grounding one wire from the brake light failure sensor connector. So I tracked down a Honda 6 pin male connector, pigtails and other connectors to ground that wire. As it turns out, grounding the wire made the brake light sensor stay on even before I pressed the brake pedal.

Just for the fun of it, I disconnected the wire altogether (i.e. no ground). I am now using LED brake bulbs, no load resistors and the brake light indicator is not on. Brake lights operate as normal.

Here's what I did (of course, no guarantees, not responsible for any damage, etc.) It is suggested that the battery be disconnected whenever messing with wiring.

1. Locate the brake light failure sensor. This is a small black box (about 3"x3") attached to the trunk wall on the driver's side behind the trunk carpet. Essentially on the other side of the trunk wall from the driver's side brake light. Note that I have a coupe so I'm not sure if it's different for sedans.
  2. Remove the 6 pin connector from sensor.
  3. Carefully the "secondary lock" from the connector. Directly to the right of the white w/ black stripe wire below, you can see the clip that holds the lock in place. There is one lock on each side.
  4. Remove the white (w/ green stripe) wire from the connector. Each wire is held by a small plastic tab. When looking at the front end of the connector you'll see a series of tabs towards the middle of the connector. Carefully lift the tab for the white (w/ green stripe) wire and gently pull the wire out. I used a small jeweler's screwdriver for this.

5. Isolate the end of the wire. You can use shrink wrap, electrical tape or another means. I just used an extra connector that I had bought (since I thought I'd need to ground the cable and it wasn't worth returning).

Not only does the brake light indicator remain off when using my brakes, it continues to operate as if I were using regular bulbs. In other words, when I first turn the key, the indicator lights and then goes off when starting the car.

1. I would love to see these lights in operating condition. DO you have some pics

Back