Door Handle lights..

mart1n

Reaction score
Lets talk about door lights.. BM's have them so why cant we right?

First disconnect the battery...

Then.. lets make the open more..

IMAG0126_zpscc3c040d.jpg

Next lets loosen up the weather thingy for the electrical cords... (best is the push it all in then pull it out slowly)

IMAG0127_zps094ae6e6.jpg

IMAG0128_zps97ad49ab.jpg

Now that we have gotten the rubber thingy off we can now figure out a way to run the wires thru... I used a zip tie and ran it thru from the inside of the car.. Much easier to wiggle its way down... (pls.. use a long zip tie. I had to tape 2 up to make the length..

IMAG0129_zpsfda97566.jpg

Remove the panel and remove the speakers for you to get more access to the wire..

IMAG0130_zps9394adda.jpg

Run the wires behind the glass I chose to tape them to the door for now..

IMAG0139_zps7f1e03e7.jpg

Now since its a early DIY i will just run the wires thru the door handle.. Till I get the dummy door handle from Brad2274

IMAG0133_zps62172f18.jpg

Solder them up

IMAG0138_zpsc6ce36cb.jpg

And stick the leds under the door handle..

IMAG0144_zps6570062f.jpg

IMAG0142_zps0dc7f150.jpg

Wire is kinda out there need to cut a piece off the door.. just a wee bit..

IMAG0143_zpsfe8a8580.jpg

Ok now lets hit the passenger side door.

This part took me awhile to get in and running right.. First off my hands could not fit so I had to use a zip tie to get my wires to its place...

IMAG0146_zps529291a4.jpg

Then from there I used a zip tie with some wires wrapped around it to be my puller once i get both ends out..

IMAG0147_zps2fa86fca.jpg

Made sure the wires are good both leds light up... and....

IMAG0148_zpsb2b557c7.jpg

IMAG0151_zps30137d13.jpg

Spliced the dome wires on the passenger side panel...

Last edited:

blackcord

Reaction score
actually I was thinking about doing this or puddle lights on my mirrors. Really interested in seeing how yours turns out.

Subscribed.

Bax

Reaction score
It would look good imo if it were dimmer.
You could wire up a resistor before the led and that would look better, again that's my opinion. I feel like it's the same situation as the door courtesy lights, when they're too bright they just look out of place.

I feel like a door handle light should be very subtle, just enough to show where the handle is for people to see, not be a spotlight for 30 yards, haha.

Nice idea though, interested in seeing the final results.

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
Gave some thought to this my self also. Haha. Glad to see some one trying to go through with it. Never could think of where to drill for the l.e.d. with out weakening the part of the handle you pull to open. It would seem that drilling any where below that would make it too noticable and maybe more of an eye sore. Maybe use a small l.e.d. srtip on the under side of the handle to achieve an ambiance effect?

mart1n

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered some 5050 smd 6k led strip i think it was like 15ft lol..
Back to the topic... All i am missing are some wires to run from door to dome light wires.. Other than that its pretty much simple.. I will try to start on one door and see how it goes may do the passenger side first (closer to dome wires) will get some pics up of the leds in a few..

26 gauge wires would do the trick.. Splice the dome wires and all set... Of course nothing beats having pics of the DIY..

Fair warning my cell phone takes weak camera shots.. And i dont have a camera (dont ask why)..

I guess I will end this with... Soon(tm)

I like bright lights.. :hihi:

Here are the led i got from ebay.. (not the 15ft led strip)

IMAG0115_zps765f936a.jpg

IMAG0116_zpsbea9f0d2.jpg

Door handle..

IMAG0117_zps1e97b6d8.jpg

Idea where the leds may be when done..

IMAG0120_zpsd5420ef5.jpg

Last edited:
Back