Swapping instrument cluster, V6 model with correct mileage and working temp gauge!!

storms

Reaction score
I wanted to change my gauge cluster to the 01-02 model but I knew that the odometer would read incorrect mileage, I also knew Bax had done a DIY for the I4 model Cluster but the V6 model (ford gauge cluster) is different! So here is my solution!

**First off though I due not and will not take responsibility for the damage to your gauge cluster or anything that may result from you following this DIY!! Proceed at your own risk!!

First remove clear lens and gauge bezel, they come off as one piece.
2 screws in front then flip over and remove 4 on the back!

After that gently pull Dimmer and reset knobs off cluster!! they need to be removed before you do next steps! Now before you flip cluster over again place the cluster bezel/lens back on and just reinstall front 2 screws. I did this to protect the needles from getting damaged!

Next you want to remove the screws holding the back plate on. There are 7 in total!

After backing plate is off there are 2 more screws holding circuit board in place, this is what your odo is connected too!

Then gently on both side pull the circuit board off! It does come off just be gentle and patient, oh and one more thing make sure you grounded yourself before you touch the circuit board, don't want any static charges!!

Now follow the same steps for the other cluster! make sure you keep them separated so you don't mix them up! Once you have the other circuit board out you just want to swap them and install the circuit board from your original gauge to your new one! Then follow the above procedure in reverse order! Oh and one more thing remember to remove the lens/bezel and reinstall the dimmer and reset switches!!

Now reinstall on car and enjoy your newer cluster with red needles!

Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score
Re: DIY: Swapping instrument cluster & keeping Odometer at correct milelage V6 model!

dude great DIY, would do this if i wasnt doing the cls dash swap

JV6

Reaction score
Re: DIY: Swapping instrument cluster & keeping Odometer at correct milelage V6 model!

I'll bring my 01-02 cluster over on the weekend and you can do mine :peace:

The Qiu

Reaction score

Nice DYI... one question do you know what kind of light bulbs use the cluster? I want to change them by led type..

Thanks!!!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

One other thing to note, if you have a 98-00 and put in an 01-02 cluster, the temperature gauge will be off. There’s a couple threads on that somewhere.

Nice DIY, Colin.

storms

Reaction score

Nice DYI... one question do you know what kind of light bulbs use the cluster? I want to change them by led type..

Thanks!!!
Thank you, this is my first time doing a DIY...LOL
As for bulbs I'm not sure on buld type, I just ordered my LEDs from www.ledautomotive.com they sell the leds for the gauge cluster as a kit, minus the odometer bulb, for $20. Then just buy the odo kit for $2!
One other thing to note, if you have a 98-00 and put in an 01-02 cluster, the temperature gauge will be off. There’s a couple threads on that somewhere.

Nice DIY, Colin.
Thanks Chris, as for the temp gauge since your replacing the whole circuit board from your original gauge the temp gauge should read correctly. At least mine does! :thumbsup:

storms

Reaction score

I'll bring my 01-02 cluster over on the weekend and you can do mine :peace:

Well if you find a V6 cluster bring it over this weekend when you come up to my place for our NWAccords BBQ! I'll help you install!!:D

storms

Reaction score

Here's a couple pics of the 2 gauges!
Old 1 is on the right!!

How it looked before!

How it looks Now!!

G'sAccord01

Reaction score

Wow you did exactly what I want to do. Eventually

Nice DIY, Colin.

^^ Found this out the hard way

Bax

Reaction score

repped :)
tumblr_m43fenS4rJ1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Back