02 i4 to v6 engine swap

irish

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm new, I've search through the old threads and haven't found my answer if I missed it somewhere sorry theres a lot of threads.

So here's the story.

Bought my son 02 accord EX-L v6 coupe leather For graduation. Did all this motor and tranny work to give him a good reliable car for college. Had about 6K in the car when all done and it was perfect inside and out. Had it 6 months and wrecked it totaled I only carried liability insurance. So I have found the exact same car in Florida. Same color, same interior, same trim line everything except it's a 4cyl.

Can I unbolt the engine/ tranny carrier with the front suspension, wiring harness. Drop it out and set the 4cyl body down on it bolt it up?

I know I will have to swap the computer, exhaust, and rear brakes (I think).

Is this as simple as I think? I'm a aircraft mechanic and I've worked on cars my whole life so I have ability.
But I'm smart enough to ask around to people that know more than me too. So tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks for all the help.

Varnell

Reaction score
It's certainly possible. The main issue is that everything between the two engine bays is mirrored. You'd need all the lines from the V6 for the i4 engine bay. Otherwise you'll be stuck making custom lines. I have an i4 EX-L that I really wanted to drop a v6 in, but weighed my options and it was simply cheaper to buy a v6 EX-L for the swap.

As far as swaps there are a few good engines you could swap into the i4 bay, but nothing quite as simple or torque-y as a v6.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
What Varnell said. I also remember something about you need to do something about making it spin the other way or you'll have 4 gears of reverse and 1 forward. Honestly it's not worth the trouble when you can just buy another v6

irish

Reaction score
I have a complete done car wouldn't everything that's not on the i4 be on my v6 doner?

Jordan_H

Reaction score
It can be done. It's a lot of work that just doesn't seem worth it to me when you can already buy a v6. Or you can just buy the i4 and keep it as an i4 and part out the v6.

Varnell

Reaction score
If you have a v6 donor car, go for it. In my case I would have needed to buy a J32 engine/trans, and a v6 donor car just to put it all into my i4.

You'll need most of it. Subframe, lines, radiator, battery relocation, all mounting tabs, cluster, ecu, wiring diagrams, etc

It would be cheaper to find a v6 that looks the way you want it, but could be a good bonding opportunity if your son is interested in helping out.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48798

on this thread above; page 1 has pics of the engine bays from the same/similar question. Take a look and you will see that a lot of stuff is on the opposite side. Those components, as well as some others we may not know about, will need to be relocated to the other side.

I know of no one who has tried this. If you get into this job and have questions, you may or may not find answers.

It is going to take TONS of work my friend.

Subframe/K-frame -- you called it carrier.

All front suspension components

Fuse box? not sure if the electrical is the same
also, there is another small electrical box beside the big fuse box. I don't know what that is but it's on the V6 model so you may need that.

ABS module - if you want ABS, you will need to fabricate new ABS lines as well as swap the rear I4 Drum brakes to Disc

Radiator itself; the hose outlets are in different areas on each radiator & Overfill tube is routed opposite way.

Cruise control module - if you want this yes you need to relocate this component, but you could go without this one.

V6 CV Axles

Air Box/Intake : not sure if this would mount up on the I4 engine bay. There may not be any mounting holes in the spots you need. The mounting holes you need may need to be made and a holes cut into metal to route the air intake tubing.

Brake booster and reservoir seem to be in the same spot, so you may be lucky here. But, I don't know if they are the same part? but you got the V6 donor.

You may need the splash guard from the V6 car too> not sure if this is the same or if it would mount up. Again you may need to make your own mounting holes?

You will need the V6 cluster, as the water temp sender in the cluster?(not sure on this term) is different versus the I4 cluster.

Gear shift.
There is a reverse gear lockout feature in the shifter, the wiring may or may not be the same in each car. Wiring issue may pop up on this one.

You will need to have the I4 key re-coded by a Honda dealer to match the immobilizer chip in the V6 ECU.

This is a short list off the top of my head. I have no doubt you can do the work based on your profession. But like I said, if you run into a roadblock, you may not find an answer to it.

It would be so much easier on you, if you just found another V6 car rather than a 4 cylinder car.

irish

Reaction score
Wheelman I think u just convinced me to abort, but that's what I needed was accurate information of the work it entails. I new I couldn't see the whole picture myself.

Thanks to everyone for there knowledge and time.

james'99

Reaction score
On top of everything stated, the suspensions are also different. If you were going from V6 to I4, you might have something. But going the other way... It's just too much.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Wheelman I think u just convinced me to abort, but that's what I needed was accurate information of the work it entails. I new I couldn't see the whole picture myself.

Thanks to everyone for there knowledge and time.

It was a hard realizeation for me too.. Originally I wanted to build the J engine, but was stuck with the I4 chassis.. So I just built teh F23 like a monster.

Back