05-08 RL J35A8 with Automatic complete Swap

jayycobb

Reaction score
WOW! I think Im changing my mind and like the sound of cheaper, $impler and ea$ier! If something has been done I will just do that... Which engine and trans mounts would I use and would I need a cluster/imobiliser/key/throttle cable etc.. or anything else from a TL since Im using the harness from it or is it not needed for the motor to run so just the AUTO ECU?

I dont need the shifter, I want my 6th gen accord shifter (stock look)!

As far as the harness/ecu, are you talking about the
TL Type S 02-03/CLS 01-03? or can I also use the 04-08 TL? I want the least amount of mods and re-pinning to do.

Basically what EXACTLY is needed to complete this swap?

jayycobb

Reaction score
Yup, this about covers everything I am using for my swap as well, minus the shifter. Don't need the tiptronic.

James, if these are your numbers, then when the upgrades that I am doing, I am curious to see what my numbers will be. Only thing is it's an auto tranny, so probably won't be quite as high.

Auto tranny is great for a daily driver :)

Are you using CLS heads and pistons? Is your Ody tranny stock?

Since Ill have all this stuff apart I think I want to build the J35 to get it to at least to 300HP. Would I have to touch the auto ody tranny or are they strong enough?

Do you know of a website or a guy that can rebuild them to handle this type of power? I found one on ebay for $450, do you think it should be built even though its only at around 100k miles and an '05?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
lol, you're asking questions that have already been answered.

Check on V6P and j32a.com about what is needed for the swap.

You don't need to change anything else, you just need the CL-S/TL-S auto Harness and ECU(better to get both from the same car).

The tranny is stronger than our stock V6 tranny, but I still wouldn't beat on it.

There are other things you can do to the engine to get at least close to 300hp, porting, for example.

I have a complete list of what I have for my engine here,

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40468

You shouldn't need to rebuild the tranny, if you are that concerned, then better to get the 6spd.

There is miscellaneous stuff not listed, but that's like certain bolts and the rebuild kit for the calipers.

Last edited:

jayycobb

Reaction score
lol, you're asking questions that have already been answered.

Check on V6P and j32a.com about what is needed for the swap.

You don't need to change anything else, you just need the CL-S/TL-S auto Harness and ECU(better to get both from the same car).

The tranny is stronger than our stock V6 tranny, but I still wouldn't beat on it.

There are other things you can do to the engine to get at least close to 300hp, porting, for example.

I have a complete list of what I have for my engine here,

You shouldn't need to rebuild the tranny, if you are that concerned, then better to get the 6spd.

There is miscellaneous stuff not listed, but that's like certain bolts and the rebuild kit for the calipers.

lol, I literally was going to drop off my car at a local trans rebuilder to have them rebuild my B7XA to stock specs (and do the right thing) (boring) for $2000 when I saw Halabeasters post and got me thinkin... I drove the car home, (in 1st gear) has no reverse and parked it. I was just worried that it might cost too much to go with the newer motor setup and when he mentioned his setup I just got a little excited :lolrun:

I dont want to do the 6spd since I do a lot of city driving in traffic, I just want a sleeper accord with 300HP that I wont beat on but think I should buy a rebuilt trans to start with...

jayycobb

Reaction score
I only told you this story because I was financially worried that this swap was going to have to wait. When I thought about it and realized that I probably only have to throw another grand or two to get what I want, it kind of blew my mind!

Thought Id share that with you guys, hope you understand and see where Im comin from... Long story, Im pretty darn happy right now!

jayycobb

Reaction score
^^^^^^

Mind officially blown! Im only on page 2, your a friggin genius!!

Those trigger wheels have to be spot on and the oil pump housing thing seems to be not that hard to do. This is amazing stuff and all done just a month ago!

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
The j35a3 has the best heads. 10% lighter valves then the j32a2 and the 35mm valves glow better. If you put the type s heads and the j35a3 heads side by side you'll see the intake ports are noticeably bigger. And Derek you won't make as much as me simply because I'm on aem. Like I said inbox me on Facebook because I'm never on here. I handle all the builds I do for people over there. I have the fastest all motor 6th gen, most powerful all motor j series, fastest all motor native j series car, and I broke the "fastest" records untuned. If you want to reve higher and make more power, get some gude regrind cams and a kms Valvetrain, arp head studs, oem size cosmetic head gaskets, 09 tl shawd manifold, p2r b series tb adapter, blox 76mm tb, 4" intake, obx headers, 2.75" single exit. Use the stock j35a3 short block, 05 odyssey tranny, cl s auto ecu and harness, p2r egr block off, rdx 410cc injectors with top adapters, obx fuel rails, Walboro 255 fuel pump, and you may need a catch can so hmu and ill fab you up one. While the heads are off if run a gates racing timing setup. If you really want to make some extra power hit it with e85 and you'll need a bigger injector and fuel pump. Also j motors LOVE nitrous. Hit it with a 175 single fogger or a 225 direct port. Piggy backs can retard timing so you should be fine with tuning it. That's just a brief setup off the top of my head. Don't forget to get innovative mounts, an ingals stiffy tq damper, and get sticker tires ;) pow, pow!

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
If your serious about weight some of the newer j series cars have aluminum subframes and start cutting and gutting ;)

Back