2000 accord front wheel bearing

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
My drivers side front wheel bearing is making small howling sound and slight grinding below 30mph. It goes away when I reach higher speeds because the wind cuts out the noise. Is there a DIY on here for replacing a wheel bearing. I took it to a shop. They said 300$ to change it.

So do I need a special tool to take the bearing out of the hub? The part is 50$, I don't plan paying 250$ labor. If there is a special tool required I will just go to the community collage and have their mechanics shop do it for free. But that means leaving my car there for a few days. Ne ideas?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Okay, I am just going to have to make a DIY on this with my haynes manual. LOL

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
replace it....trust me. i just did and my accord rides like it just came off the showroom floor.

Did you do it yourself? I have never replaced one before. I know its not that hard, but i heard u need a special tool to grap the bearing from the hub.

SeanXtec

Reaction score
^^^nonono, bad idea. Hondaluver, not sure about the i4, but with the v6 a machine press is needed to get the bearing in and out. Take the brake rotor off the hub, and then the hub off the car. Take the hub and new bearing over to the cc or someplace that has a press, and it should only be ~$30-40 to press out the old/in the new bearing. The haynes manual should suffice for getting the hub off, I'm pretty sure it's what I used.

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
^^^nonono, bad idea. Hondaluver, not sure about the i4, but with the v6 a machine press is needed to get the bearing in and out. Take the brake rotor off the hub, and then the hub off the car. Take the hub and new bearing over to the cc or someplace that has a press, and it should only be ~$30-40 to press out the old/in the new bearing. The haynes manual should suffice for getting the hub off, I'm pretty sure it's what I used.

Thats what I was planning on doing. Thanks, I think they are the same also. I cant find my damn haynes manual :mad:

Im sure taking the hub off isnt rocket science either...haha

SeanXtec

Reaction score
>_< I had a link bookmarked for a diy on this, but apparently its been taken down recently...and its not rocket science, but you could run into some major problems if you don't know what you are doing....have you done any suspension work on the accord yourself?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
>_< I had a link bookmarked for a diy on this, but apparently its been taken down recently...and its not rocket science, but you could run into some major problems if you don't know what you are doing....have you done any suspension work on the accord yourself?

No, but I have a haynes manual. I read how to take the hub out. Ne recommendations? I plan on having the shop take the old bearing and having the new one pressed in. I am so lazy, im just driving my wifes car. Ill probably get around to doing this in a couple weeks hahah.

SeanXtec

Reaction score
Just make sure that when you pull the hub out, you do not pull the axle with it...the axle itself is in two pieces and will pull apart at the inner boot. If the axle is pulled out too far, it will separate from the other piece, and it is a complete B**** to get back together. I made this mistake, and had to buy a new axle...it was probably the most frustrating day of my life.

Ball joints are also pretty frustrating to get separated...Borrow the "ball joint separator" kit from advance auto/autozone (It looks like a couple of tuning forks), put the fork up against the joint, and just start whacking away with a heavy hammer...It might take a while, but just keep at it. It will eventually separate.

If you have any other questions let me know.

BondoBeater

Reaction score
Check the half shaft bearing too! mine was worse than the wheel bearing. With the car lifted in 2nd gear and tires turning put your hand on the bearing housing in between the 2 parts on the cv and see if its rough. You may not need a wheel bearing. FYI Dealer part only but its only 40 bucks

Back