2000 LX coupe rear speakers not working

Discussion in 'Car Audio & Electronics' started by Qwertyfish01, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Qwertyfish01

Qwertyfish01 New Member

I've spent a bit of time trying to figure this one out, but I don't know what I'm doing. The rear deck subwoofers in my car are broken, making everything have no bass and sound quieter than it should.

So far, I've verified that the speakers themselves work just fine with a multimeter. Then, I found that the speakers are connected to a wire going into this small black plastic box with a TDK logo imprinted on it. I have no idea what this box is or whether it's the culprit, but there are other wires coming out of it that leads somewhere I can't see, behind the carpet on the walls of the trunk. Does anyone know whether this black box would contribute to my problem? What do I have to replace to make the audio system work?

2. Adhmuz

Adhmuz Member

By rear subwoofers I'm assuming you mean the rear deck 6x9 speakers.

That TDK box doesn't sound stock to the car, do you have any history of the car, how long you've owned, when the last time the rear deck speakers worked would be a good start.

Also good to know is does the car have an aftermarket head unit installed or is it the original.

Now I can only speculate with limited information but that TDK box might be part of an after market head unit that was removed from the car before selling it, and whatever was put back in it's place, be it stock or another cheaper after market head unit, it might not have the right connection to use that mystery TDK box, which could be an amplifier of sorts.

In my 98 I had no such box and my speakers were all wired right to the factory stereo.

Again, if you could provide a little history of the vehicle and what it currently has as far as speakers and stereo/head unit I'm sure it will be a little more clear to diagnose.

3. Qwertyfish01

Qwertyfish01 New Member

I don't have a history of the car, but it came with the stock head unit and everything. I only got it recently so those rear speakers have never worked the whole time I've had it. I did some googling and found this picture of the box in question: https://imgur.com/a/yriI6Yc

Some results say it's a rear window defrost module (then why would the speakers be connected?), others say it's an antenna amplifier. I don't really know which.