5W20 or 5W30 for F23A1 ??

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Well, 10w30 was normal for awhile. Lighter, 5w20, came for fuel econ. Heavy, 20w50, was for old stuff. Most bikes use 10w40. Tight, high reving, bikes.

Hense my switch. Also, synth is an improved reg.

I don't remember why I switched from Mobile1 to Castrol, but so far it seems good. Used it on VWs, 10k mile service, I try for 5k LOFs.

Dimitar

Reaction score
I have a couple of friends who are mechanics, and one of the specializes in Hondas. If your car does not burn oil, and you want to give it the best, look into ENEOS - Synthetic Engine Oil 0W50 (best for very cold and very high temperatures). It is the most popular oil in Japan.

Meanstreet

Reaction score
I have a couple of friends who are mechanics, and one of the specializes in Hondas. If your car does not burn oil, and you want to give it the best, look into ENEOS - Synthetic Engine Oil 0W50 (best for very cold and very high temperatures). It is the most popular oil in Japan.

I am not concerned about the best, just want to avoid not being able to start in winter and have quicker engine warm up.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i've always used what honda says and never had any problems. must be magic or something. always used castrol gtx high mileage and an oem filter as well.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Know the history of oil.

These cars were made shortly after 10w30 went out to make 5w20 more usual for mpg reasons. So if you go that you are reducing viscosity, reducing strength to hold pressure. Some run tighter bearings.

My designition, 10w40, adresses engine design, and high temps, f'k fuel econ.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Know the history of oil.

These cars were made shortly after 10w30 went out to make 5w20 more usual for mpg reasons. So if you go that you are reducing viscosity, reducing strength to hold pressure. Some run tighter bearings.

My designition, 10w40, adresses engine design, and high temps, f'k fuel econ.

10w40 wow man so have you experienced any big difference in such a thicker oil..ie does it "feel" more powerful(even the slightest) or???

xci.ed6

Reaction score
No, no difference. You would expect slower. Thicker = more pump drag
Car is the same, or close enough you don't notice.

Back