98 Accord 5-speed - buying.. Towed behind motorhome... Please give advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleybb50

Reaction score
I think my subject said it all... I just put a down payment on a 98 Accord Ex Coupe (leather, 5 speed, sunroof, beautiful really) - and sometime after putting the down payment on it and just in conversation, the salesman said "ok so a couple things about the car. A dentist owned it and used to tow the car behind his motorhome. He just changed the clutch, tires and brakes before trading in" -- i didnt think too much about it at first...

but can anyone PLEASE give me advice on whether this car will be alright? Its only showing 69,000 miles on the odometer, but i mean should I be worried? I have heard of transmission issues if a car has been towed behind a motorhome on these Accords.. But that might just apply to the Automatics? And do you think that mileage is "true" in that if its being towed, would it register the miles as they turn over?

Very concerned and considering asking for the deposit back.... What do you fella's think?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! I know Honda "does not recommend towing".....

THANKS!!!

mista jc

Reaction score
Being towed puts mileage on the vehicle's tires. The car would be off, I'd hope, so nothing affects the odometer. Good purchase also! 5 spd and leather is the ish!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
how was it towed? on all 4 wheels? front wheel lifted? rear wheel lifted?

if it was towed with the rear wheels lifted (meaning the front wheels are on the ground), u'll have issues... all the tranny components are still running, and with the motor off, no tranny fluid is circulating... no tranny fluid circulating + heat = tranny buh bai

clutch should not be affected, but it's good tht he changed it... main things i would check would be the axles, CV boots, etc

rIceNOodles

Reaction score
The 5-speed tranny is one toughest tranny's honda has made (from what i heard). As long as it's the the AV6 model, the tranny should last you quite a while. Don't expect it to be super fast but it'll be a good commuter car.

stanleybb50

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick advice. I really don't know if it was towed on all 4's or not... I would assume that it was. And actually since its the manual shift, I think the heat might not be a problem to worry about.

But as far as the odometer: Do most people tow behind the motor home with the key in the second position or anything? I guess not - you're prally right that the odometer wasn't clicking while being pulled.. I just hope that doesn't mean too awful many "pulled miles".

But I think that manual tranny is a strong one too.

Keep the advice coming guys! Great stuff!!

By the way, this is my first post on this 6th Gen website. I'm coming out of owning a '91 Accord that I loved and had my blood sweat and tears into, but sadly its about kicked to the curb... (I was a member of the CB7 website and am glad to now be a part of this website! - providing the car checks out tomorrow when I officially "Look at it")

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
well you said it was a 5 spd.... so its a 4 cyl since i doubt a dentist that towed it behind his motor home did a tranny swap on it. the 6th gen accord v6's only came as automatic

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
you are looking at a 4cyl, so no worries about the trans. the v6 models had issues.

if the input shaft from the engine is not spinning, the trans gears are not spinning. since the manny tranny can be in neutral with the key out of the ignition, the engine was (of course) off while being towed. probably another reason why they didnt buy an auto.

with only 69k i wouldnt hesitate to buy it. the trans should last a good long time. im at 142k with my auto so even if this chassis has more "towed" miles vs. driven, the tranny only has 69k :) at least to my understanding :)

stanleybb50

Reaction score
I can't express my thanks for the quick replies. It is absolutely a 4 cyl and I honestly can't wait to pick this thing up. I just hope I look at the right things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back