98 Accord misfires when floored

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I adjusted the valves Thursday morning and the car is running better but it still misfires also it had a pending fault about the neutral safety switch on the transmission but i cleared it and it hasn't come back. This morning it kept dying when it was idleing but once it warmed up it went away and there's no new codes.

Last edited:

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
I don't know if this is related but sometimes when the engine is cold and im coasting down a hill (like my driveway) the RPMs will bounce around it never stalled until today though but they would go from about 1500 to 800 and back to 1500 and do this a few times before smoothing out but if i push on the gas pedal it revs up just like it should

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
It started wanting to die even when warmed up and at any speed just like before I replaced the distributor so I put the newer coil and cam sensor back in and hopefully that will help

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
It was just showing the misfire codes that its been throwing but it hasn't thrown any codes sinse I swapped them out. Only time will tell if that solved the original problem but I doubt it because its the same parts that were on it when this problem started.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Here is your update:
The car is still doing it but it has developed another possibly related problem. When the engine is cold it will start just fine and be idling ok then out of nowhere the RPMs will dip way down usually killing the engine, but if I give it some gas it's fine until today. I was on my way home from college and as i was going down the road (the engine was fully warmed up at this point) the RPMs dropped to about 500 and I gave it full throttle and it tried to stay running but couldn't. The RPM was still around 500 but bobbing up and down a bit and I could feel that it was running very rough then after about 5 seconds it died so I put it in neutral as i was rolling down the road and it started right back up and was fine. After getting home I did some research on it and found that it could be the main relay. I resoldered it before but the soldering iron I had at the time was a piece of junk and could barely melt the solder so i took a heat gun and reflowed the entire thing and then just tested it out in the driveway. The car started fine and idled smoothly and the RPMs stayed fairly constant (around 1200 RPM) even when turning on headlights and A/C and the RPMs slowly dropped to 750 as it warmed up just like it should. Once it was warmed up I held it at about 2000-2200 RPM as if I was driving down the road and after about 30 seconds it misfired about 3 times. There were no codes current or pending and the RPMs only dipped by a little bit but I could definitely feel it.

james'99

Reaction score
Here is your update:
The car is still doing it but it has developed another possibly related problem. When the engine is cold it will start just fine and be idling ok then out of nowhere the RPMs will dip way down usually killing the engine, but if I give it some gas it's fine until today. I was on my way home from college and as i was going down the road (the engine was fully warmed up at this point) the RPMs dropped to about 500 and I gave it full throttle and it tried to stay running but couldn't. The RPM was still around 500 but bobbing up and down a bit and I could feel that it was running very rough then after about 5 seconds it died so I put it in neutral as i was rolling down the road and it started right back up and was fine. After getting home I did some research on it and found that it could be the main relay. I resoldered it before but the soldering iron I had at the time was a piece of junk and could barely melt the solder so i took a heat gun and reflowed the entire thing and then just tested it out in the driveway. The car started fine and idled smoothly and the RPMs stayed fairly constant (around 1200 RPM) even when turning on headlights and A/C and the RPMs slowly dropped to 750 as it warmed up just like it should. Once it was warmed up I held it at about 2000-2200 RPM as if I was driving down the road and after about 30 seconds it misfired about 3 times. There were no codes current or pending and the RPMs only dipped by a little bit but I could definitely feel it.

Hmmm... So it seems that we have a fuel issue then...

Just to make sure, do you have access to another iron just to go through each joint again?

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Hmmm... So it seems that we have a fuel issue then...

Just to make sure, do you have access to another iron just to go through each joint again?

Yes I do and I just resoldered it yesterday and It's still having problems. It died several times yesterday when I was trying to move it from up by the house into the barn. And if it is a fuel issue which part should I check first?

Back