AllData request please

F23A1AT

Reaction score
So the other day I took my engine out the replace my TO bearing, I put the engine back in Monday and I have a no start issue. I was wondering of anyone here can send me the diagnostic procedures for testing out the firing system as I have narrowed it to that being the problem. I replaced the rotor, cap and wires about five minutes ago (I needed them anyway) and I still can't get her to fire up. So if anyone on here has an AllData subscription and if they feel generous, I'd really appreciate it. TIA.

619rcr

Reaction score
Testing the firing system? Take each wire off the plug one at a time and hold it near something metal while cranking. wear gloves, you may shock yourself.
You will see arc if you got spark. Simple as that. Why would you need alldata for that?

You replaced the throwout bearing and nothing else? So you had the whole eng & trans out and thats all you replaced? You prob knocked something off or broke a wire to the starter. Check all your connections, gnds too. Have you tried push starting it and popping the clutch?

Send more info. Is the fuel pump running when you cycle the key to on? Does it crank and not start, or not crank at all?

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Testing the firing system? Take each wire off the plug one at a time and hold it near something metal while cranking. wear gloves, you may shock yourself.
You will see arc if you got spark. Simple as that. Why would you need alldata for that?

You replaced the throwout bearing and nothing else? So you had the whole eng & trans out and thats all you replaced? You prob knocked something off or broke a wire to the starter. Check all your connections, gnds too. Have you tried push starting it and popping the clutch?

Send more info. Is the fuel pump running when you cycle the key to on? Does it crank and not start, or not crank at all?

Yeah the firing system, you know the ignitor, pinouts on the dizzy, resistances, those things.

I don't want to sound like a douche but this isn't my first time searching for a no start issue. I know the procedures for testing the plugs, I have made it all the way to the distributor with diagnostics.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
It is cranking, it is getting compression, it is getting fuel, but there is no spark. I am trying to work back from the plug to the problem. The wall I have hit is in the distributor, I need to get the procedures from the ignitor all the way back to the key preferably.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Not what you are asking for, but if you have a meter you might be able to use this diagram to find where the power stops.

ignition_zps21118b6e.png

619rcr

Reaction score
The internal coils are Notoriously suck on F23s. Can cause your no spark. If you have another one, try replacing it. I converted to external coil when I ran my F23.

619rcr

Reaction score
Yeah the firing system, you know the ignitor, pinouts on the dizzy, resistances, those things.

I don't want to sound like a douche but this isn't my first time searching for a no start issue. I know the procedures for testing the plugs, I have made it all the way to the distributor with diagnostics.

Specs Coil .45-.55 ohms primary winding & 16.8-25.2k ohm secondary.
Firing order 1-3-4-2
Timing 12degrees + or -2 BTDC (Red mark)

Heres the testing info from Haynes. I would paraphrase, but its a lot of info.
2013-03-07_07-22-05_251_zps9eca5e25.jpg

It says replace ICM if all chks good, but I say try a coil first. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Back