amount of paint

BoyBlue

Reaction score
I have an 02 coupe front bumper that I plan on painting and putting on my self. I' m also looking for an OEM front lip to go with it (I might go with a 98-00 one and mod it). I was wondering if anybody knows how much paint I need to cover the bumper and lip. Thanks for any help.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I say if you want to give it a try more power to you. If I had a compressor and a garage you best believe I'd be shooting my own parts.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
i still want to try spraying sometime..... just too skurred.

slash lazy...

mr. smith

Reaction score
i would say about 16oz. its easy if you do it yourself just very time consuming though. i could rattlecan a bumper and look oem just takes 2days and most of the time i dont have that.

BoyBlue

Reaction score
prob 10-12 ounces. if you have to ask I wouldnt reccomend painting it yourself

Thanks for the reddomendation but I Like to give it a try. I might punk out after looking at it a few times. Then again I have done alot of dumb stuff and have it come out nice. Oh yea I am going into this with having painted a few things my self before (I have owned alot of hondas and fixed alot of honda rust). Then again the fenders are flat unlike a bumper. Thanks for the replys.

Last edited:

travisn

Reaction score
it being flat has nothing to to with it. lol. you can buy a cheap gun from harbor freight for like 30-50 bucks. if you have an air compressor go for it. I would advise going to the JY and getting some free parts to practice on.

google and youtube will be your friend.

and as for learning, you can spray rattle can paint into a spray gun (I have done it before as spray gun creates a better and more predictable spray pattern) or you can buy cheap cheap paint from any auto parts store.

there are some basic materials you will need to get started right. Prep-all (cleaner), paint thinner. (do NOT mix the two. ie dont clean your gun with prep-all, makes a mess), grey scuff pads, tape if there are parts you dont want painted (grilles, etc). some way to support the bumper and lip. usually hanging it from the ceiling using wire works. the garage must be heated. do not try to paint below 60ish. mixing cups are great, paint strainers and stir sticks if you buy paint that needs to be mixed (you might be able to get all three of those for free depending on the store you buy paint from)

Last edited:
Back