And the Pigeon Gods have officially cursed me!

dcmystery21

Reaction score
Well now that we are on the topic of brakes

Will brake fluid go bad if it has been sitting on the shelf for over a year maybe two?

Half of it was used and the other half was left in the container and the top was closed tightly...would air still get in to ruin the fluid?

Yes, just buy another bottle. its cheap.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Well now that we are on the topic of brakes

Will brake fluid go bad if it has been sitting on the shelf for over a year maybe two?

Half of it was used and the other half was left in the container and the top was closed tightly...would air still get in to ruin the fluid?

brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture/water. good rule of thumb is to always use a fresh bottle cause if you leave it on the shelf and its not perfectly air tight (which it isn't since you opened it) then it will absorb the water from the air. Too much water absorption into the brake fluid can cause it to boil at a lower temperature. which is bad haha.

unfortunately non of that has anything to due with a metal on metal noise. check for a rock or any other debris on the pad or rotor surface. also check the metal dust shield thats behind the rotor. its pretty easy to bend and since its so close to the rotor it doesn't take much of a bend come in contact with the rotor which would result in the sound you describe. If non of this helps you should probably take it to a mechanic since anything else I could suggest to you would be something you shouldn't do unless you know what your doing, and from the sounds of it you don't know enough to be messing with a part of your car that keeps you from dying.

dcmystery21

Reaction score
Re: And the Pigeon Gods have official cursed me!

haha! I was trying to bring some sense of humor into another B.S. incident! haha! :p

But on a somewhat of a good news...It seems as though the Pigeons have dispersed but at the same time there seems to be a lot of Crows around now!

:inouteek:

But back to the metal on metal noise...any ideas? Caliper sticking? Worn something? Could the change of brake fluid done this? Too tight wheel nuts? Too loose?

changing your brake fluid will not help. it has nothing to do with your wheels either.

your pads could be glazed. take them off and rub them on concrete to roughen them up. I have yet to use that brake grease stuff a day in my life and have never had brake problems. It is just like bulb grease and the rest of the bs that auto stores sell you to increase sales numbers. I would start with checking your pads.

edit- didnt think about the dust shield. that could be a possiblity. although, it is unlikely that the dust shield will randomly bend under normal driving conditions. that normally happens when you are working on your car and from what I can tell, this problem seemed to have come from regular driving.

Last edited:

Honda4Life

Reaction score
its not air that you have to worry about....its moisture in the air that would decrease the boiling point...if you do lots of mountain roads...like downhill with repeating braking zones...i would run a new and upgraded brake fluid...if you don't do this kind of driving its probably fine

also...check your brake pad wear...the pad on the back side of the rotor where the piston pushes...that one can wear faster than the one you see on the outside since the piston is pushing from the inside.

I just changed the fluid with DOT 4 Racing blue blah blah blah not too long ago but the only thing I did wrong was change the fluid in a weird rotation

RR, RL, FL, FR

Why you ask, well that is how I have always been told...furthest away from the master cylinder but apparently it is different for Honda. But to be safe after I was done I went around all of them and did 10 brake pedal pumps to extra bleed them...

Could that be the problem?

I never thought about the other side of the caliper :hide: I will try to guilt my buddy to coming over tonight and helping me take the wheel off and checking it.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
I only suggested it cause it happened to me once. no idea how it got bent without pulling a wheel off but it did haha.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture/water. good rule of thumb is to always use a fresh bottle cause if you leave it on the shelf and its not perfectly air tight (which it isn't since you opened it) then it will absorb the water from the air. Too much water absorption into the brake fluid can cause it to boil at a lower temperature. which is bad haha.

unfortunately non of that has anything to due with a metal on metal noise. check for a rock or any other debris on the pad or rotor surface. also check the metal dust shield thats behind the rotor. its pretty easy to bend and since its so close to the rotor it doesn't take much of a bend come in contact with the rotor which would result in the sound you describe. If non of this helps you should probably take it to a mechanic since anything else I could suggest to you would be something you shouldn't do unless you know what your doing, and from the sounds of it you don't know enough to be messing with a part of your car that keeps you from dying.

Well a mechanic is SOOOOOO out of the question that you don't even know...

Not that I am against them...I am scraping for money as it is to pay hospital bills that I just can't afford anything else let alone a mechanic bill.

I will beat my buddy with a whip to check that ish! :darryl:

Honda4Life

Reaction score
I only suggested it cause it happened to me once. no idea how it got bent without pulling a wheel off but it did haha.

I will have the dust shield checked but I HIGHLY doubt that it is bent...I literally have done nothing but city driving for the last month or level streets going no more than 45mph.

And I have not run over anything either...BUT...I will still check.

You guys are awesome

Thank you for the rapid replies! :usa:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
if your friend is competent enough you can have him scuff the pads with a scotchbright pad on a die grinder. thats what we usually do for squeeky breaks if nothing else can be found.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
if your friend is competent enough you can have him scuff the pads with a scotchbright pad on a die grinder. thats what we usually do for squeeky breaks if nothing else can be found.

Are they squeaky because Honda makes cruddy pads or are they making noise because they are getting old?

I am just asking so when the time comes I know what pads to purchase...I have always heard good things about Akebono pads!

Back