Any Bikers??

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
I should have enough for a brand new mongoose freeride mountain bike it's 600 and has the new hydrolic rear suspension instead of the coilovers looking type

:computer:

Dude, i would honestly stay away from mongoose, you will be horribly unsatisfied.

:thumbsup:

it needs to stop raining so i can ride again
:boohoo:

but actually i agree....still raining here also...we hit our record for May rainfall last week..UGH...trails are soaked...greenway system was flooded and is now like riding on ice with the mud and other crap. One of our employees that has commuted everywhere for about 15 years fell twice commuting to work on Saturday. First time he fell and busted his helmet, second time he broke his hip. And still had about 1.5 miles to get to work, so he walked it.

Last edited:

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
the one place we have that isn't infested with drivers floods with an inch of rain. I'll be taking the bike out on the public roads today when i get off work since that'll be the only dry place to ride :ugh:

then more rain tonight and weekend full of training will keep me off the bike, thankfully the weather has been tolerable

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
I thought about riding on the roads, but it smells so bad is lots of areas around here from the flood. I am almost tempted to just get the mtn bike out and do some mud slinging

idriveanaccord

Reaction score
Dude, i would honestly stay away from mongoose, you will be horribly unsatisfied. If you want a full suspension bike, Giant's entry level full suspension, the Yukon FX, starts at like $850 and is wayyyyy better quality and will be backed by your local dealer.

Really? I heard that mongoose really stepped it up this year but we have a giant dealer down the street so i'll check that beast out. Would it be better to get hydrolic rear suspension or the mini coilover looking type?

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
So I was watching the Tour de California today and the course was 113 miles. So it was on TV from 4-6 and at 6 they had 1.5miles left and guess what happens...Versus switches to the effing pregame for the hockey tournament. OMG was i pissed. The race has 1.5 MILES LEFT..why couldn't they just finish it

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
because versus is being held up by the NHL and the NHL playoffs are a major deal to both Versus and the NHL.

I completely agree that it should have been delayed but thats why.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Really? I heard that mongoose really stepped it up this year but we have a giant dealer down the street so i'll check that beast out. Would it be better to get hydrolic rear suspension or the mini coilover looking type?

All major bike companies use air or fluid rear suspension. Only "Walmart" brand bikes use coil springs. Mongoose, while having a high end line of bikes, does the bulk of their sales in the low end through places like Walmart and Target which totally screws the dealers that actually carry Mongoose's higher end models. In a good, bike shop quality bike, you will get the support of not only the brand's warranty, but also the bike shop itself (usually in the form of free tuneups for a period of time and discounts on parts/accessories). A professionally assembled and tuned bike is something that people miss out on when they bargain hunt. There is nothing more satisfying than riding a well tuned bike, trust me.

What I would recommend for you is do a bit of research about a few brands, like Trek, Specialized, Giant, Fuji and GT and find some local dealers. Go in knowing what bikes you want to look at and ask to ride them, you should have no problem getting test rides. After you ride a selection of bikes, go home and make a list of things you liked about each bike and a list of things you didn't like. Usually, there are one or two bikes that really stick out and then go ride them again.

Once you make your decision go in and see if the shop will negotiate on prices; some will, some wont. If they do negotiate, they will have a low end retail price that they wont go below, and its usually around 10-15% lower than the advertised retail price depending on how big the shop is. The bigger the shop, the lower their prices. Push them a little bit (its like buying a car) and you will usually have no problems saving some bucks.

All of this advice comes from my more than 2 years of sales experience in 2 veryyyyy different shops and I hope it helps anyone who is in the market for a new bike.

Back