Any word before working on the Cat Converter?

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Well, I am just going to clean it, replacing would cost too much.

When you guys say impact gun, do you mean impact wrench? If so, which brand or specification should I be looking for? I might just have to pony up for tools.

Btw, is there a video showing how to drill out a stripped bolt? Would be interested to see how it works. Thanks.

Brad2274

Reaction score
i removed parts of my exhaust when i pulled my engine, some nuts came off with the breaker bar, but other times the whole stud with the nut came off

TuRtL3

Reaction score
impact gun and impact wrench is different. good brands would be snap on, mac, matco, and IR. they are pricey, depending which one you want to get and how many torque. if your looking not to spend much, than craftsman impact gun. i got a matco gun with 1000 ft. lb. torque for around $400 something.

you can try searching on youtube on how to drill out the stud, they might have a video on it. if not than all you have to do is cut the stud with a die grinder (the part that sticks out the most) and drill the rest of the stud off.

Reaction score
Well, I've been getting P0420 for a while now, I always turn it off but it always comes back after a few months. I start thinking I should do something about it...because my engine just isn't running very smoothly. This is after I've changed rotor, spark plugs & wires and air filter. Seafoam helped quite a bit which led me to believe it's the dirt inside that's causing the performance drop.

My car has 170k miles and I've been skipping maintenance here and there ( I know I've committed a crime). Well, the process looks simple enough, unless I miss something, 6 bolts and it's out. But I heard these are some of the toughest bolts to loosen. So is there any tips on doing this? I probably should get a good set of jack stand first.

Hey I had this same problem like a month ago code P0420. First I try to changed the upper stream o2 sensor basically bought it from ebay and that was Denso oxygen sensor and drove for about 1 month with no problem then again that CEL came on and I was so pissed off then I bought Bosch O2 sensor for downstream from Autozone and I sprayed PB Blaster but it was rusted and pretty much stuck wont come out easy and I even tried breaker bar but no results. I stopped by at Sear and bought Electric Impact wrench it's just just plug in to electrical socket and you're good to go so I used that and that o2 sensor came out easy but some how accidentally put a pinch whole in my cat converter and trust me I don't know how the hell I did that put I stopped by at this muffler shop in Chicago and they put a peace of metal on it and welded pretty good so no CEL for almost two weeks. I hope CEL wont pop up back again and if it does then I'm try this trick from Scottykilmer to clean my cat converter here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE At the end yeah try as many things you could because cat converters cost lot of money and while I was there under my car and checked my cat converter and all those bolts looks so rusted so I don't I would be able to take them out easy. Let us know what you did to fix that problem and soon I'll be posting my status if I encounter any problem

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
impact gun and impact wrench is different. good brands would be snap on, mac, matco, and IR. they are pricey, depending which one you want to get and how many torque. if your looking not to spend much, than craftsman impact gun. i got a matco gun with 1000 ft. lb. torque for around $400 something.

you can try searching on youtube on how to drill out the stud, they might have a video on it. if not than all you have to do is cut the stud with a die grinder (the part that sticks out the most) and drill the rest of the stud off.

Wait, so you guys are recommending impact gun because u don't think the bolt will come off and I will need it to drill it out?

haha...that's very thoughtful of you all.

TuRtL3

Reaction score
you don't have to use impact gun, but it is a lot easier than trying to break it by hand using a breaker bar. You only have to drill if the stud broke off.

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
Had the P0420....I just put a band aid on it by using the spark plug non fouler trick. So far so good for over 4 years now. :thumbsup:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
^this.

if your cat is clogged you should just replace it. your never gonna get it clean. honestly I recommend taking it to a shop and have them pull it out. without proper tools it can be a real ***** to do exhaust work since its all so rusted.

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Hey guys, let's say if I run a non-fouler, it effectively moves the O2 sensor further away from the cat converter, but what does it do to the engine? Does it affect the engine response in any way? I am guessing it's called a sensor because it senses something and sends the signal to the engine.

Look, I just can't afford to lose any more horses :(

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hey guys, let's say if I run a non-fouler, it effectively moves the O2 sensor further away from the cat converter, but what does it do to the engine? Does it affect the engine response in any way? I am guessing it's called a sensor because it senses something and sends the signal to the engine.

Look, I just can't afford to lose any more horses :(

Do it, it wont affect anything wrongfully...unless your cat is fully blocked to the max and wont less exhausts gasses go through. The sensors detects the cat.converter performance.

Back