Anyone removed the headliner?

heathan

Reaction score
PROJECT HEADLINER - COMPLETE!! nothin to it. if anyone has questions I can tell ya the step by step now. I still need to post new pics though, but I'm gettin to that. It took 4 can of the fabric dye to go from tan to a nice dark black. I even reinstalled it alone, so it can be done.

heathan

Reaction score
Got my pics!

Here's a couple pics of the headliner after I've installed it again. I didn't take any during the process of anything else though, but it all turned out great!

2100287_53_full.jpg

2100287_54_full.jpg

dbang

Reaction score
To remove the headliner you need to take out the "oh ****" handles, a-pillar covers, rear seats, rear 1/4 panels, sun visors, sunglasses holder/maplights, dome light, and the top screws for the seat belts to get the rear 1/4 panels out. If you have a sunroof you'll need to pull the plastic cover/guard off as well. Once you do all that it should just pull down but be careful. It may be useful to remove one of the front seats so you have more room to move around and get it out of the car.

Bringing up an old thread here but looking to clarify on some of this, been searching for more info on removing the headliner because i have a squeek behind the driver seat when i go over bumps and it's quite annoying.

"If you have a sunroof you'll need to pull the plastic cover/guard off as well" do i just pull it out? I'm afraid to damage it

you should have someone help you when you remove the headliner so you don't crease it.

What do you mean by crease it?

If anyone knows anything about this an input would be nice since these members may not use this forum anymore

dbang

Reaction score
Here is a thread from another site that has a nice DIY on this issue..
headliner DIY

that's my thread :(, but it doesn't say anything about the sunroof seal/cover/guard, not sure if it's okay to just yank it out

couldn't find a picture of our car but it's the ring around the sunroof like in this picture
11-toyota-scion-tc-sun-roof.jpg

Last edited:

lashlee

Reaction score
Bringing up an old thread here but looking to clarify on some of this, been searching for more info on removing the headliner because i have a squeek behind the driver seat when i go over bumps and it's quite annoying.

"If you have a sunroof you'll need to pull the plastic cover/guard off as well" do i just pull it out? I'm afraid to damage it

What do you mean by crease it?

If anyone knows anything about this an input would be nice since these members may not use this forum anymore

Just remember that you may damage a part and that a replacement is just a junkyard or dealer away. You are trying to do this on your own and that's great but you just need to be prepared to learn from your experience and realize that sometimes describing how to do something is much harder behind a keyboard than just going out and doing it. Take your time, pull gently and see how it's preceding. I've had the entire interior out of my Accord and it's not as difficult as it seems. If you are still unsure stop by your local specialty stereo shop or better yet an upholstery shop and see if they can give you a hand.

I have a four door without the sunroof so I am in a slightly different position but you will have to pull the front seats to try to get the headliner out. At the factory they install the headliner without the front or rear glass so it's a little easier to manuver. When you finally get it loose you may have to bend it slightly to get it though the door opening, unless you get a glass guy to pull the front or back glass. If you crease it, just relax and it should go back into shape. If you crease it too far then you have a whole other stack of problems. I can get mine out of the back door opening.

Most importantly take your time. The headliner backing is a fiberglass like material that is mainly stiff but if you man handle it might not end well. The removal is not as hard as you think and I wish you luck on finding your noise.

dbang

Reaction score
Just remember that you may damage a part and that a replacement is just a junkyard or dealer away. You are trying to do this on your own and that's great but you just need to be prepared to learn from your experience and realize that sometimes describing how to do something is much harder behind a keyboard than just going out and doing it. Take your time, pull gently and see how it's preceding. I've had the entire interior out of my Accord and it's not as difficult as it seems. If you are still unsure stop by your local specialty stereo shop or better yet an upholstery shop and see if they can give you a hand.

I have a four door without the sunroof so I am in a slightly different position but you will have to pull the front seats to try to get the headliner out. At the factory they install the headliner without the front or rear glass so it's a little easier to manuver. When you finally get it loose you may have to bend it slightly to get it though the door opening, unless you get a glass guy to pull the front or back glass. If you crease it, just relax and it should go back into shape. If you crease it too far then you have a whole other stack of problems. I can get mine out of the back door opening.

Most importantly take your time. The headliner backing is a fiberglass like material that is mainly stiff but if you man handle it might not end well. The removal is not as hard as you think and I wish you luck on finding your noise.

Hey thanks for the advice, now I get what was meant by creasing it :p like bending it till it has a line

I didn't think I would need to bring it out of the car, I was probably either going to just work at it from outside of the car or poke through the sunroof hole ;D

It's just a clicking sound, don't think it would be such a hard fix I hope...
just get under it and glue back what was loose.

Just want to make sure that I'm able to just pull the cover/guard/seal off without any biting me in the *** later on lol, the rest seem fairy simple... just unscrew everything and it plops down

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
yeah man. i got my headliner out. You can just pull on the plastic trim piece around the opening. It kinda just slides onto it...it is not glued or "clipped"

dbang

Reaction score
yeah man. i got my headliner out. You can just pull on the plastic trim piece around the opening. It kinda just slides onto it...it is not glued or "clipped"

that's great! thanks!

i'll give it a shot this weekend!

Back