AT Problems, any good MT sources in South FL?

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
Ok, I'll post this here cause I need to vent... I hope its the appropriate place.

My car, an 02 Accord 4 cylinder AT, with 65K. I was told last week by the dealership I need a new tranny for $3400 :)nutkick:) because mine wasn't covered under the warranty extension. Anyways, after that dealership didn't submit my case under "Good Will" as they said they would, I had another friend who worked at a service center submit my claim....

.... 1 week later ....

"Honda will pay for 13% of the job." :doh:
($2958 total in care you don't want to start up a calculator app.)

So, my options seem to be down to two:
1.) Chuck the car and get some beater... or
2.) Finally have a MT swap done! :thumbsup:

So, have been reading threads and trying to find help with this project. The biggest problem is I haven't been able to find any "traditional" salvage yards in Broward County, FL where I can scavenge parts. I'm relatively new to the area, but if anyone knows of any sources that would be a big help.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
You could probably do the swap for close to the same price of the new AT. Sourcing parts can be time consuming though.

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
You could probably do the swap for close to the same price of the new AT. Sourcing parts can be time consuming though.

Thanks, that's definitely my plan... actually to do it for a lot less than than the new AT. One of the few times I think I'll be happier spending less :).

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Sometimes its less and sometimes its around the same for an AT. But as I said before, try to find a performance shop somewhere that does these kind of things. The normal joe schmoe shop won't wanna do it. Even locate someone in a neighboring city if you can't find anyone in your area. Call around and im sure you will find something. It's all about networking and knowing people. Don't try and locate all the parts because there is too many miscellaneous parts you will miss. Just leave it up to the shop. That's what I did. Your paying them remember?

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
Sometimes its less and sometimes its around the same for an AT. But as I said before, try to find a performance shop somewhere that does these kind of things. The normal joe schmoe shop won't wanna do it. Even locate someone in a neighboring city if you can't find anyone in your area. Call around and im sure you will find something. It's all about networking and knowing people. Don't try and locate all the parts because there is too many miscellaneous parts you will miss. Just leave it up to the shop. That's what I did. Your paying them remember?

True, I'm paying them, but with absolutely no money in my budget to do this, I need to be as proactive as I can be to try and go into debt as little as possible ;) This came very unexpectedly!

(Oh, and I can't believe it, but Slick 50 Transmission Treatment seems like it will buy me just a little more time. I normally don't believe in additives but a friend recommended it and it seemed to help the problem a little. I only mention this in case others find themselves in a similar situation.)

sweagle02

Reaction score
My car, an 02 Accord 4 cylinder AT, with 65K. I was told last week by the dealership I need a new tranny

DUdee!! so it is true! Am i headed for the same fate?! My '02 AT is at 27,000. Should i stop modding now or maybe i'll be a lucky one with no tranny problems?!

cajun

Reaction score
Keep banging on Honda Corp to pay more. It worked for my bro-in-law recently.

The 13% offer tells me Honda acknowledges they sold you a defective trans. Hit them up with stuff like - I bought a Honda b/c they are supposed to be reliable, Honda extended the 00-01 warranty due to a know defect, my miles are too low for something like this, etc.

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
DUdee!! so it is true! Am i headed for the same fate?! My '02 AT is at 27,000. Should i stop modding now or maybe i'll be a lucky one with no tranny problems?!

Well, definitely keep your fluid clean and get all tranny related service done at a Honda dealer. Pay more so they have the records on file and don't argue your car was never serviced as they did mine. You could also check now to see if your tranny warranty is extended based on your VIN.

Keep banging on Honda Corp to pay more. It worked for my bro-in-law recently.

The 13% offer tells me Honda acknowledges they sold you a defective trans. Hit them up with stuff like - I bought a Honda b/c they are supposed to be reliable, Honda extended the 00-01 warranty due to a know defect, my miles are too low for something like this, etc.

Good for him! Yeah they know it is junk. There argument is that the previous owner never did any of the tranny service since nothing is in THEIR file.

At least today I found a shop in Miramar that said they can't get all the stuff at the moment, but that they would install it all for $700 if I can source all the parts. Now comes the fun part .... :eusa_wall:

cajun

Reaction score
Well, definitely keep your fluid clean and get all tranny related service done at a Honda dealer. Pay more so they have the records on file and don't argue your car was never serviced as they did mine. You could also check now to see if your tranny warranty is extended based on your VIN.

IIRC it was 7yr/100K miles on only the 00-01's, so the "official" extended warranty should be over for all of the 6thGens.

I've changed my ATF myself, so I have a bunch of dealer receipts for the fluid only. I wonder if that will count for anything when my trans decides to crap out...

Back