Audio Upgrade/Installation

Euro-R_CL1

Reaction score
Alright basically finished today, ran all the wires mounted the amp, installed the head unit, but got one question.

In the engine bay where the power wire is running to the battery I have to install my fuse holder, but the first 3 feet of power wire is braided. I dont how to cut the braided wire to insert into the two ends of the fuse holder. Most power wire is just the insulated rubber material that can be cut easy.

This is the last thing i have to do and im all set, any suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind this is my first time doing this so if something is wrong dont be too harsh lol. Thanks Guys

i could def help you out but i gotta see photos, you will never find another car thats as easy as ours to install a deck into lol

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
i could def help you out but i gotta see photos, you will never find another car thats as easy as ours to install a deck into lol

I'll post pics tomorrow. But to clarify, its my understanding that the power wire which you are running from your amp to your battery, needs to have a fuse holder (which I have) connected to the wire, in order to protect from overheating in case it blows.

From what I've seen, it appears that the fuse holder is connected by the power wire within 18" of the battery, from what I can only assume is the wire cut at a certain point and rejoined at either ends of the fuse holder.

If this is true, my dilemma here is that the first 3 feet or so of my power wire, with the end that needs to be connected to the battery terminal, is covered with a braided thick material, which I'm guessing is to protect the wire from excessive heating in the engine bay.

I'm not sure if 1. my understanding is correct, and 2. if it is, I'm sure I could cut the wire but would not know how to strip the thick material, in order to connect to fuse holder. Hope that clears is up a bit .

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
what is the braided material made of? metal or plastic?

since you won't be able to cut it (obviously...that's one reason to use it :lawl:), the plastic stuff you can use a hot knife or a soldering iron, preferably with a narrow tip.

youd have to be careful not to melt the wire insulation, of course.

xmsleepr

Reaction score
looking good i had those speakers but never amped them lol curious to see how your mounting your amps.

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the braided power wire
IMG_8161.jpg

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
why would a company like kicker do something so stupid? :dunce:

looks like regular techflex...hot knife/soldering iron. if you can scoot the braid up closer to where you're cutting it, that will make it easier. get some shrink wrap to cover the ends with (so they'll look like the end with the terminal already on it).

edit: side cutters make a messy cut, especially if you can't do it in one motion. the heat of a tool "melts" the ends together so they won't fray as much.

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
You can't just cut the braided area with cutting pliers?

Im sure I could cut through it, I just wasn't sure if I would run into some trouble trying to strip the bare wire from the material.

why would a company like kicker do something so stupid? :dunce:

looks like regular techflex...hot knife/soldering iron. if you can scoot the braid up closer to where you're cutting it, that will make it easier. get some shrink wrap to cover the ends with (so they'll look like the end with the terminal already on it).

edit: side cutters make a messy cut, especially if you can't do it in one motion. the heat of a tool "melts" the ends together so they won't fray as much.

Alright thanks alot, I actually don't have a soldering kit so might go pick one up, saw one cheap at radioshack the other day so might be worth grabbing. Definitely could see how that would make things a whole lot easier.

Euro-R_CL1

Reaction score
you are correct in saying you need a fuse in line to protect your amp, you should be able to take either side cutters or my personal favorite a pair of linesmen should be able to cut the wire where you want the fuse holder to go, and then with a very sharp knife or razor blade, be able to strip back the insulation, to connect to the fuse holder

xX_AccordLx_Xx

Reaction score
I was able to pull a little bit more wire through, so looks like I'll be able connect the fuse to the easy part of the power wire, going to have to mount it a little farther from the battery though, around the back of the engine bay, think this location should work fine.
IMG00187-20110322-1314.jpg

Back