Auto transmission starting to slip!!!

angarita90

Reaction score
The same happen to me 2 years ago, I send the trany to rebuild cuz the torque convertor burn the ATF so the trany die at 90k, now has 104k and is slipping again after 2gear. what the solution of this?
98 accord v6

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Change the clutch packs, get another auto installed, or swap to 6spd. Or get a new car.

MikeyMike

Reaction score
ive had my car 9 years. (v6 autotragic)

transmission blew at 65,500 & 93,400

$2800 to fix, $2200 to fix

@108,000 i felt it starting to act up again..

$6000 later...
i was 6 speed MT... @ 117,000 with a steroid motor and BOOST,, loving it:postwhore:

redlinevtec

Reaction score
ive had my car 9 years. (v6 autotragic)

transmission blew at 65,500 & 93,400

$2800 to fix, $2200 to fix

@108,000 i felt it starting to act up again..

$6000 later...
i was 6 speed MT... @ 117,000 with a steroid motor and BOOST,, loving it:postwhore:

What a nice story. Inspiring lol.

I rebuilt my autotragic 3 1/2 years ago for about $2000 plus another $400 for other random stuff they said I needed. (I didn't know anything about cars back then). Recently around October, autotragic wasn't slipping but was making my car vibrate hard and shift hard between D4 and Reverse. I tried everything to fix it until I realized It was Mr.Autotragic.

I took him out, threw autotragic in the corner, sold it for $500 and bought a new motor and went 5spd. Let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever did! Your car is a totally different car with a 5 or 6spd. I can't explain it...Now you are in control of your car. Not a bunch of crappy sensors that go bad like autotragic. My car feels so different, it's like a new car. Go 5spd, and don't look back. It's scary at first but in the end, it's totally worth it. :love:

JetLife

Reaction score
im experiencing problems too!!:explode: i think my valves are going bad. i tried to accelerate at a light and it barley moved; but it caught up and took off. these trany's can't handle v6 power :(

joeygkb

Reaction score
Okay, I've got to chime in on this one. I've had my v6 coupe for only a year now (a work in progress). I've seen what happens to these transmissions and it's scary. The same thing happens to me right now:
  • Hard downshift when breaking downhill
  • Missing when hitting the gas after a light or any other stop
Honestly, I really don't think either is a bad thing. Honda claims that our ECUs are supposed to do a hard downshift when going downhill as part of their "engine breaking." Apparently that's something they tested out in ours, which would explain why they're so ****ty.
Secondly, the reason that my transmission does the same thing at lights is because of my torque engine mount up in front. You'd be surprised how much power is lost when you've got bad engine mounts, especially with the design of our cars and it being front wheel drive with the tranny right under the engine, both being side-mounted. A quick way to tell if it's the mounts is to get out on the highway and get up to about 60mpg, then just let go of the gas for about five seconds and you should feel a little bang like something's holding you back (not the usual tranny drag feeling, you'll feel a distinct instantaneous pull back as soon as you let off the throttle). Then give the gas a quarter press and see what happens. If you notice that same kind of missing feeling, it's your mounts.

If you want to be technical, the book has this in the troubleshooting section. They reference it as "clunk on acceleration or deceleration" and give four reasons:
  1. Loose engine or transaxle mounts
  2. Worn differential pinion shaft in case
  3. Worn driveaxle bore in differential case
  4. Worn or damaged driveaxle inboard CV joints

Just check the mounts, I'm telling you. Some of these transmissions aren't all that bad. I've still got the original on mine, and I'm rounding 170k miles.

WilDFirE

Reaction score
we were the third owner of our v6, trans was rebuilt at 103 by first owner. It died again at 168k sold it for 1500 to the guy at the trans shop SCHWING!

wifey and everyone was pissed that I sold it but I wasn't about to rebuild a rebuilt trans, lol plus I knew it was problematic

my 02 MT on the other hand is freggin sweet!

Back