AutoCross weekend

klee

Reaction score
This past weekend was my first AutoCross practice event. You are allowed 3 runs per run group. I should of had 12 runs total but I started late and ended with 10 runs for the day. I ran my 98 Sedan and co-drove my friends 02 coupe. My 98 felt soft in the corners with a ton of body roll with just the standard Neuspeed sport springs, tokico HP shocks, Neuspeed upper strut, and 205/50/15 Kumho MX on stock Accord rims. The 02 Accord felt better with the APEX coilover setup, Eibach sways, and Falken tires. I was told by the officials the track was designed as a 95 second course for the casual driver. All classes of cars were allowed at practice. Turbo cars such as the WRX and EVOs average in the low 60s and NA cars were running in the mid 70s. The fastest time was held by a WRX STI for 58 seconds I believe. I'll post some pics when I have time to pull them from my camera.

98 Accord Sedan times
First Run: 88.080
Second: 93.739 (was red flagged because a track worker claimed my passenger was sticking his arm out when he wasn't)
Third: 78.179
Fourth: 71.652 (driven by a friend of mine who won the Solo back in '04.)
Fifth: 76.079 (my personal best in this car)

02 Accord Coupe
First Run: 69.126 (I didn't drive, but rode to see how it feels. My friend was nice enough to allow me to drive the car to see if I would like this type of setup versus another)
Second: 74.024
Third: 88.541 (I spun out. I took a large left hand turn far to hot. I tried to recover by lifting off the gas, and counter steering but that landed me in a 360 degree spin)
Fourth: 73.341 (My best time in this car. I tried to follow the inside lines as best as I could but I didn't feel like I was aggressive enough coming out of turns and going into the slalom.)

Wildman: Even since you changed the board, I am to dang lazy to post my sig or setup my profile. LOL.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
damn I still want to try this, seems like so much fun. i'm just afraid of something going wrong with my car at the track :(

looks like you were driving pretty well going off of what you said as the averages of other cars, and especially being your first try.

with that setup though, can't I'd be surprised if it felt soft. from what I've heard the tokicos aren't an aggressive shock at all

klee said:
Wildman: Even since you changed the board, I am to dang lazy to post my sig or setup my profile. LOL.

...sorry? lol

klee

Reaction score
You should try at least once. I know there are AutoCross meets in VA. The best time for you to run is during practice events. This way, if you screw up, it's all good because it is a practice. You also have the opportunity to talk to other drivers, ride with them, and maybe drive their cars. There are only 3 Accords in my region and thankfully they are in the same area. I can also see and feel their setups. All you need to do is adjust your Tiens, take out part of your stereo equipment, and possibly get a set of decent street tires and some old 15" rims and you are good to go. Some say you can't autocross a 6thgen but I would have to say they are wrong. The Solo '04 champion won with a 99 EX Accord. Another is running an '02. It's all about the driving versus what parts you have.

Last edited:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
ah well my stereo isn't removeable lol, and i can't afford new tires, so other than adjusting my teins i'd just have to drive it like i would any other day.

how much did it cost for the day? I was thinking it was like $40

klee

Reaction score
Wildman said:
ah well my stereo isn't removeable lol, and i can't afford new tires, so other than adjusting my teins i'd just have to drive it like i would any other day.

how much did it cost for the day? I was thinking it was like $40

Depends on who is hosting. It's typically 50-60 bucks on the west coast.

klee

Reaction score
Pics of the 9/11 Autocross have been posted. Click on my sig to view on my cardomain page.

Back