Bad leak

phi1542

Reaction score
I got a really bad leak and I don't know what it's coming from. I think it's oil because it's a brownish color. I really need help to find where it's coming from and how to fix it. Thanks! its a 6cyl j30a1 1999 honda accord ex coupe

tumblr_mlxfjqQjM71qcn3b9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mlxfjzl21x1qcn3b9o1_500.jpg

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Trans fluid can be brownish if it's old enough, but motor oil and tranny fluid have very different smells. If you don't know the difference pull your dipsticks for both, wipe the tips, and smell. Then smell the puddle on the ground and you should be able to discern which it is.

Which side of the car is the puddle on? Let the car sit, then when you see another puddle form, jack it up where it is and try to trace the drip to the leaking area. Or there is always the UV dye trick, but I wouldn't do that unless you have to.

phi1542

Reaction score
Trans fluid can be brownish if it's old enough, but motor oil and tranny fluid have very different smells. If you don't know the difference pull your dipsticks for both, wipe the tips, and smell. Then smell the puddle on the ground and you should be able to discern which it is.

Which side of the car is the puddle on? Let the car sit, then when you see another puddle form, jack it up where it is and try to trace the drip to the leaking area. Or there is always the UV dye trick, but I wouldn't do that unless you have to.

The puddle is like in the front middle near the radiator

Emphasis

Reaction score
As mentioned, if you have access to a jack it should be fairly easy to see where it's coming from. Jack points reference if you need it: http://syclone.motocrew.com/CG5/jackpoints.htm

I know it should be obvious, but keep a close eye on your oil/transmission fluid level. Don't want to turn this into something bigger.

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
The puddle is like in the front middle near the radiator

Sounds like one of the lines leading into/out of the stock tranny cooler on the bottom of the rad to me, get under the car when its cooled down, remove the splash-guard covering the bottom front end of the block to get a better look at it, there should be a hard metal line leading into a short rubber line on the airbox side of the radiator, check that for cracks or visible wear first.

How fast has it been getting worse and have you noticed any shifting issues/harder shifts? also if you suspect oil instead (obv. check levels first, just know mine likes a quart of oil every 2 months so it can be a bi*ch to find a smaller leak by level alone), drip a bit of water on top of the stain and look for that rainbow sheen.

phi1542

Reaction score
alright thanks guys! it turns out it was the radiator leaking transmission fluid. the hose seal screw thing was cracked so it leaked pretty bad and the oil pan had a bag nut seal so i replaced the seal on the nut and its all fixed now :) still a little bit of oil leaking from the back area. i suspect its from the head gasket.

Back