Bad Starter??/

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
wheres the starter located and what part do u have to replace?

The starter on the I4 is right below the distributor, the starter is located near the transmission of any car. It has to turn the flywheel or flex plate to start the engine.

Fuzz

Reaction score
nope.. if u have a weak battery, it'll crank slowly..

if the starter is bad, it'll click when u turn the key

Well ACTUALLY... Yes if your battery is LOW, the starter will turn slowerly... however if your battery is more than low... like on its way out, what actually happens is... Click Click Click. Let me explain.

The starter has a Solenoid that trips the motor. In order for the solenoid to engage, it needs X about of voltage. So - you turn your key to start, the solenoid trips, The starter engages (click), the motor causes a voltage drop, which causes the solenoid to trip off - (click), as soon as the motor turns off, the voltage raises, and since only 0.25 seconds have gone by, and your key is still turned to start, the solenoid trips ON again (click).

Continue this cycle, and you get the click click click click sound.

Believe it or not, most dead starters are because of dead solenoids. True dead starter MOTORS - you will get a click and nothing else. That is why the hammer trick works. It is normally a stuck or dying solenoid. If you whack the starter, the vibrations causes the solenoid to jiggle free or loose.

01AccordCoupeEx

Reaction score
Well ACTUALLY... Yes if your battery is LOW, the starter will turn slowerly... however if your battery is more than low... like on its way out, what actually happens is... Click Click Click. Let me explain.

The starter has a Solenoid that trips the motor. In order for the solenoid to engage, it needs X about of voltage. So - you turn your key to start, the solenoid trips, The starter engages (click), the motor causes a voltage drop, which causes the solenoid to trip off - (click), as soon as the motor turns off, the voltage raises, and since only 0.25 seconds have gone by, and your key is still turned to start, the solenoid trips ON again (click).

Continue this cycle, and you get the click click click click sound.

Believe it or not, most dead starters are because of dead solenoids. True dead starter MOTORS - you will get a click and nothing else. That is why the hammer trick works. It is normally a stuck or dying solenoid. If you whack the starter, the vibrations causes the solenoid to jiggle free or loose.

so should i replace the solenoid or the battery. i check it out by taking the battery to get tested and it passed. the starter tested and it passed, and even the alternator and it passed. after that it started to wrk again. but now when i try to start my car it takes awhile to start. like its not getting a spark or something.

Fuzz

Reaction score
How old is your battery?? A starter isn't that hard to change. I picked up mine from a scrap yard for 30 bucks The Solenoid isn't a changable part, not unless you know what your doing. You can't just buy a new solenoid from honda.

I would change the entire starter if you can find a used one somewhere. If you battery is more than 6 years old, I would change it too, but that is just me. If your battery passed a test - I wonder what kind of test. Did they try charging it, or did they put a serious load on it and check the cranking amps.

01AccordCoupeEx

Reaction score
How old is your battery?? A starter isn't that hard to change. I picked up mine from a scrap yard for 30 bucks The Solenoid isn't a changable part, not unless you know what your doing. You can't just buy a new solenoid from honda.

I would change the entire starter if you can find a used one somewhere. If you battery is more than 6 years old, I would change it too, but that is just me. If your battery passed a test - I wonder what kind of test. Did they try charging it, or did they put a serious load on it and check the cranking amps.

they put it into a machine to c if it had enough juice. which it didnt. but they charged it for a couple of minuets then they tried it to c if the battery is bad and it was good. so idk haha the battery is 4 yrs old..

st3b0

Reaction score
not to bring up on old thread, but i haven't been able to start my car for 2 days now :( based on what fuzz said i think my starter is dead. i'll turn the key and all i get is one click. i'm headed to the junkyard today to see if i can find a starter.

thanks for any help

Fuzz

Reaction score
The very very very first thing you should do is put a charger, or test the voltage, or have you battery taken to Napa or some other parts place that tests batteries before changing your starter.

Back