Basic engine question for you mechanics...

nyknick1015

Reaction score
So me and my friend have been ripping apart his motor for his R1 motorcycle. We had the full block, just got the new block in to start putting stuff back and he tells me that he started cleaning the old parts of the motor so we can put it back in and all i can think is... PLEASE TELL ME HE HE DIDNT CLEAN THE CRANK SHAFT OR THE CAMS....

yep... as a matter of fact he did, and took off the markings for TDC that i made on them... :eekwtf::(:buttkick::thinking::darryl::squintwave:
Baby%2BFace%2BPalm.jpg

we were doing it in his living room so when ever he gets bored, he trys to take it apart little by little

ANYWHO, WHAT IS DONE IS DONE so i just need some advice on how i can this motor back into somewhat time since i dont have the markings anymore. I know exactly how i took them out and have somewhat of a guess on how they should go. I could be off by a couple degrees though. is there anyone with suggestions on how to get it back to original specs. I have the service manual btw and currently going thru it to see if it has any specs on how it should be but no luck just yet

Asian Invasion

Reaction score
I would think that the crank and cam gears have some sort of markings stamped into them for tdc.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
the crank does but i dont know if the cams did as well. i gotta check. i just got thru the service manual and it says that it should so im gonna check when i get to his place later today. if it doesnt, any other advice is greatly appreciated.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Make sure u keep all the valve shims in their original location. Also make sure u properly torque the cams dow n.

There should be a knotch or slot somewhere on the cam, otherwise ur gonna have issues even being off by a few degrees. There may be a tool tho to get the cam aligned with tdc.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
YEAH, the way that i learned is by marking it off and aligning it back to that point. plus i am used to much larger engines than a motorcycle motor especially with being that the transmission is inline and in the same block with the crank. I just want to be sure

Last edited:
Back