Bax's 1999 5mt CG5

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Re: TheBax's New 1999 Sedan 5-speed

But as for paint, I'm sure you remember how my dad is about hooking me up. We're both so busy we have no clue when, might even be as late as this coming summer, but we're going to take a weekend and paint it. I'm really excited about this because this time I can get the door moldings and side skirts painted with the car (yup, they're both plastic again. -___- ), and I can take off the rear "Accord" and "LX" emblems like I wanted to do on my last car. :D

Wurd. Gonna paint it the same color, or something else?

Passing on the freeway will never be the same again for you. ;)

Bax

Reaction score

Congrats man. Good to see you got another accord
:lawl: you whore. take mas pictures
:roy: I will after I wash it again. Pollen raped my car this past weekend. It also rained a lot so there's already mud splattered on it, I need to put my mud guards on it but I'm too lazy. lol
congrats on the new pickup!
epic stuff brotha, by the way might be moving into the southeast this summer man :naughty:
WHERE?!
Wurd. Gonna paint it the same color, or something else?

Passing on the freeway will never be the same again for you. ;)
Same color. The paint looks okay in the nighttime, but in the day under direct sunlight it's swirl city. Pisses me off. :madrun:

Omg coincidentally I actually downshifted to pass someone today for my first time, it was amazing. Having such... control. :boink:
It's weird how I downsized a good amount on engine size, and now I'm actually having to watch myself so I don't get any speeding tickets. This 5 speed is just way too much fun...one I take off, of course, lol. I'm still working on my clutch and gas timing, so sometimes I rev a little high when leaving a dead stop. I feel stupid, but I'm glad it's stock exhaust so I'm not making much noise. :lawl:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score

"theres already mud splattered on it" :lawl: it happens i guess.

SykVSyx

Reaction score

Congrats, I heard about this on Friday.

Glad you were able to land a 5spd though, it will make putting in that JDM H22 with LSD that much easier.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Same color. The paint looks okay in the nighttime, but in the day under direct sunlight it's swirl city. Pisses me off. :madrun:

If your paint is just swirled you don’t have to repaint it, just needs buffed, etc. But if there is a lot of fading, etc, then yeah new paint is not a bad idea.

My car is swirl city, the paint needs detailed bigtime. I have an orbital, but need to learn how to use it.

Omg coincidentally I actually downshifted to pass someone today for my first time, it was amazing. Having such... control. :boink:
It's weird how I downsized a good amount on engine size, and now I'm actually having to watch myself so I don't get any speeding tickets. This 5 speed is just way too much fun...one I take off, of course, lol. I'm still working on my clutch and gas timing, so sometimes I rev a little high when leaving a dead stop. I feel stupid, but I'm glad it's stock exhaust so I'm not making much noise. :lawl:

That’s cuz you have to baby the V6 tranny, you can be more aggressive on the 5spd and it won’t matter. And the control you have makes the car feel fast, which makes driving fun, which makes you love it. And the power you feel through a manual pedal setup is worlds apart from what you feel through an auto setup.

I didn’t downshift until after a week or two haha, I’d just mosey into the other lane and slowly pass someone because I didn’t feel comfortable doing it yet lol. But the first time you do it…then you’re hooked. You might want to look into a radar detector. :lawl:

The pedal mastery is something that can only come with time, I’m still working on mine. On days that I’m tired, I suck at driving my car lol, cuz my best coordination just isn’t there. But yeah, that will come naturally, and one day you won’t even really think about it.

Bax

Reaction score

If your paint is just swirled you don’t have to repaint it, just needs buffed, etc. But if there is a lot of fading, etc, then yeah new paint is not a bad idea.

My car is swirl city, the paint needs detailed bigtime. I have an orbital, but need to learn how to use it.

That’s cuz you have to baby the V6 tranny, you can be more aggressive on the 5spd and it won’t matter. And the control you have makes the car feel fast, which makes driving fun, which makes you love it. And the power you feel through a manual pedal setup is worlds apart from what you feel through an auto setup.

I didn’t downshift until after a week or two haha, I’d just mosey into the other lane and slowly pass someone because I didn’t feel comfortable doing it yet lol. But the first time you do it…then you’re hooked. You might want to look into a radar detector. :lawl:

The pedal mastery is something that can only come with time, I’m still working on mine. On days that I’m tired, I suck at driving my car lol, cuz my best coordination just isn’t there. But yeah, that will come naturally, and one day you won’t even really think about it.

Well it's got tiny rust spots on the roof and other areas like where rocks chipped. Not huge, but enough to not even make it worth trying to fix. I gets teh free paints. So why not. :D

Oh yeah it's tons more fun. I'm not worried about hitting the gas too hard and making the tranny slip and ****. For some reason on 5th gear when I try to go to 4th it acts like there's a wall and it won't go in, but I just push on it some more or try again and it goes through. Kinda weird. Am I doing something wrong or is that normal?

I'm ready for my leg to get stronger so I'll stop cramping up in traffic. Lol

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

**** I’ll drive to Alabama for free paint! :lawl:

Not sure, don’t know the 5spd too well. Try a few different shifting techniques going into 4th from 5th, strangely for some gears more than others, your arm movements really affect the smoothness of the change. And make sure you are fully depressing the clutch. I don’t know if 6GA 5spd’s had any grinding problems with certain gears.

Try turning your hand so the top of your hand is sorta facing you and the inside of your hand is contacting the left side of the knob, then change from 5th to 4th. Or try doing exactly what you do when you shift from 3rd to 4th.

The one place where an MT isn’t brilliant is in stop n go traffic. Lol After being stopped, when traffic starts moving again, I usually wait until there’s a good amount of room between me and the car in front, then I’ll just keep it in 1st and very slowly inch forward, just giving the car enough gas to keep the engine running smoothly. If you time it right and traffic is on your side, sometimes you can just keep coasting while the traffic around you is stopping and starting.

Last edited:

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score

i have trouble going into 1st every once in a while. just need to **** around with it till it goes in (twss) :lawl:

also, my reverse can be kind of a PITA to get into, but it always works out in the end haha.
and something about shifting into 2nd at 45mph and having "power" feels awesome. i will never buy another auto again

SykVSyx

Reaction score

This 5spd discussion are a part of the reason why I am not overly inclined to go 6spd, but it is inevitable, I will have to sooner than later.

Back