Better Gas Milage on a v6?

PhattyT

Reaction score
well it turned out that i have more fun saving gas then speeding... now i regret having a v6 but i'm stuck with it so i want to find out some tips on how to save gas... does anyone know?... i know a few things like tire pressure and weight reduction... but is there more to it?

angelplus

Reaction score
Injector cleaners, octane boosters. They actually work. I use to get about 220mi on one tank of gas, now i get anywhere from 280 - 320

Telri

Reaction score
Try not to accelerate quickly. Maintain constant speed as much as possible. If stopping for a very short period of time (less than a minute) don't turn off the engine. Starting the motor is the equivalent of letting it run for a minute at idle (approx.). Use your brakes instead of down shifting. Supposedly using the AC vs. opening windows at highway speeds gives you better mileage, in my experience this hasn't had nearly the effect I was lead to believe it would. Alignment. Supposedly not running your electrical system will save you gas, since you aren't diverting as much engine power (or so I'm told, I don't really believe it though...). Another one which you may consider is having the VTEC engagement point changed to a higher RPM.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, don't fill your tank up all the way. Goes along with the reduced weight thing. By only filling up my tank (2000 EXV6) to half, i get between 1 and 2 extra mpg.

Last edited:

angelplus

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
Be aware that repetative use of injector cleaner and "Octane Boosters" WILL kill your catalytic converter.

Yeah, and methane based boosters will eat your engine if you use them enough. Though, my cat is already bad, so im not too worried about that kind of stuff.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
angelplus said:
Yeah, and methane based boosters will eat your engine if you use them enough. Though, my cat is already bad, so im not too worried about that kind of stuff.

Test pipe ftw!!
goodjob.gif

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
They are, however, FTL when you have emissions inspection like me in NC. But I know of some shops that will pass me
wiggle.gif

Telri

Reaction score
Here in Hawaii as long as its not designed specifically for racing, we have no emissions laws. So, I don't even need a cat...

Back