Black steering wheel trim?

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
No haha I mean I'm gonna get a woodgrain wheel, but where can I get a matching black airbag cover and column cover?

Jordan_H

Reaction score
If your car is 98-00 then you need a single stage and if it's 01-02 you need dual stage. You can get an mdx wheel and use a 98-00 black coupe airbag

Reaction score
No haha I mean I'm gonna get a woodgrain wheel, but where can I get a matching black airbag cover and column cover?

I'm gonna get flack for saying this, but I literally just painted my steering wheel and column cover and it looks great. It's held up completely fine over about 5 months (note: I have a cover around the outside). Use the right prep/paint and it'll last, and only cost you ~$30, plus you'll have tons of extra paint left over. Obviously if you can get a black airbag cover on the cheap, that'll be the better option, but I'm throwing this out as an option if you can't or it's too much hassle.

My method was to disconnect the parts (for me the whole steering wheel, but it sounds like you just need the column + airbag cover) clean with soap/water, then denatured alcohol, then wax/grease remover. Then I wet sanded lightly, first with 400 grit, then 1000 grit. Then I washed once more with wax/grease remover and let it dry. I then did 3 coats of adhesion promoter, then 3 coats of black primer, then waited ~48 hours (though you could probably just do overnight), then 3 light coats of flat black, then 4 coats of clear. The most important layers are the adhesion promoter and the clear. My last coat of clear was pretty heavy, so it hazed up, but it dried clear and thick and looks great. I followed the can to a T and 5 months later there's no signs of wear.

I wouldn't recommend this for the parts of the wheel you touch for probably an hour+ each day, but there's nothing wrong with this method for parts you only touch occasionally and don't get too much wear.

Back