Cam seals and TDC ?s

cl206

Reaction score
Hey guys, I think I might do the TB myself when it is due in a year or 2 and was reading about this and just have a couple of questions:

1) When trying to get to TDC, do I have to be in neutral and do the spark plugs have to out?

2) I know where the crank shaft seal is but can someone confirm where the cam seals are. Are they just behind the cam pulleys after taking off the bolt and the backing cover? If so how do you keep the pulleys/timing from going out of whack? Just grab it with my he man hands?

2000 V6 car,
thanks!

Last edited:

Styx2015

Reaction score
1. When trying to get to TDC, it will help to be in neutral. That's the only way to get the engine turned over without turning your wheels. It would also be easier to turn the engine over with the spark plugs out. You won't be fighting with the compression strokes on each cylinder (i.e. gives the air somewhere to go).

2. Cam seals are indeed right behind the cam pulleys and backing cover. Cam gears are keyed. Also before you take the cam pulleys off, there should be a mark on each pulley which lines up with a mark on the backing cover telling you that you are at TDC. The cam gear on the front cylinder head is stamped with cylinder numbers too. That way you know which cylinder is at TDC.

cl206

Reaction score
Hey Styx, really appreciate the info! I might have a small seal leak but I plan on doing the next TB myself so I figure, let's learn where everything is. Yes I know about the timing marks and I will actually also do the whiteout approach on the belts/sprockets too just to be sure.
Thanks!

Styx2015

Reaction score
No problem. I just finished building my J32 out of the car. Getting ready to start the swap this weekend, so all this stuff is fresh in my mind.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
V6 = auto

Park is nuetral, even drive wort move the wheels if you're turning the crank.

Craize

Reaction score
Also its best to get a white paint touch up paint stick to mark the crank and cam gears to the timing belt with - then transfer marks to new belt and reinstall and double check timing marks and your good to go.

cl206

Reaction score
Also its best to get a white paint touch up paint stick to mark the crank and cam gears to the timing belt with - then transfer marks to new belt and reinstall and double check timing marks and your good to go.

Agreeed!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
To remove seal, screw in spare wood screw ~3" long, pull or use claw of hammer

cl206

Reaction score
To remove seal, screw in spare wood screw ~3" long, pull or use claw of hammer

Yep I saw that video on youtube. There is a piece of metal ring or something inside the rubber seal. Interesting. Someone also suggested using the paint can opener thing which I got today anyways, it's like 49 cents.

I have a feeling one of my seals, maybe the crank one is leaking but nothing big. Just have some oil almost like sweat around the pass side of my oil pan but nothing on the floor nor frame so I'll wait lol

Back