Car dies and then popstarts itself while driving!

wsdrummer06

Reaction score
I have had my car do this quite a few times now. The car will stall and automatically(what i would call) popstarts (since its rolling in gear) itself. It will then drive the rest of the day as if nothing is happening. Both the alternator and battery are fine and have been tested.

what could this be?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Do the speedo and tach needles go to 0 when the car dies, and back up when it restarts?

HotboxF23

Reaction score
You say the battery/alt are fine so maybe check for loose connections at each. ..also do any lights go out prior to "pop starting"?

HotboxF23

Reaction score
ya. car literally shuts down and is back on in 1 second like nothing happened

Fuel Filter/Pump?? does holding the accelerator prevent it..like if you can feel it coming beforehand..if not possibly a fuel delivery issue

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Has your car had the ignition switch recall done? I'd start there, based on what you have said.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If it is the ignition switch you could soon have trouble starting the car if you haven’t already. It will start but then die immediately.

Here’s what happened to me…for a couple years, a couple times per year, my gauges cut out and the car died but quickly came back on again. This past year on a long drive, the gauges cut out and the car died and took a few seconds to come back on…this happened a few times on that drive. When I stopped for gas I shut the car off (dumb idea), and it would start again but die immediately. Tried starting it several times and it finally ran and I got home. I replaced the switch the next day and had no more problems.

In retrospect the slight burning plastic smell in the car on that drive was the solder point on the switch melting the plastic housing.

There are many ignition switch threads, and a DIY guide if you need them.

Last edited:
Back