Car is surging/Feels like complete loss of power

Got02Accord

Reaction score
I will be driving and say I put it into 2nd manually (automatic) and it is about 4000 rpm every once in awhile it almost feels like the car falls flat on its face. its as if its hitting a fuel cut of some sort but it is only for a second and then back to normal.

The other day i was on my way home from school on the highway and I put it in D3 and all was fine but then after a bit it did the same thing. Felt like complete power loss as well as if you hit the brakes. I drove the rest of the way in D4 and it was all fine.

I am running synthetic oil. Checked level and level was still good. Car has 80k on it V6, new plugs around 40k ago. Original plugs still looked mint but I changed them over just for maintenance.

Car is a 02 so no distributor. No codes, No flashing lights. Only mods to engine is a Short Ram Intake.

Thanks so much for any help!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Try to hold it at one of those 'cut' points until you get an MIL. Then check the codes. It might just be a 300 (misfire) but you should get something!

F23accordowner

Reaction score
At 4000 rpm the vehicle can go into "limp mode". This has happened to me before, my cause was from extremely low oil pressure from lack of oil in motor. Vtec tries to engage with the oil pressure, and can not operate properly so the motor puts itself in "limp mode". Only when this happened to me I could not go further up the revs it was rev limited to 4000 or so. Hope this helps, check your oil first!

Wht00Accord

Reaction score
Does your Cataylic converter rattle?? Mine did drove fine the whole day till i was going home it felt like a loss of power wouldn't go passed 4k. Now i have a test pipe and full catback car runs like normal.

Back