Car won't shift out of park, not brake lights nor interlock

hellfire127

Reaction score
Long story short, it's a 98 accord sedan v6. Key will not come out of ignition. Only comes out if unhooking battery. Dash shows P and D4 at same time on the ON position but disappears after few seconds.

First problem was that the shift level could shift anytime, even with car off. So somebody take off the shift knob and messed around w that...bad idea. It made the button on shift knob not work so the interlock release fixed that.

But now the car will not shift from park now. It turns on but key still won't come out.

The dash shows Park and D4 lights at same time when key is on ON position but disappears soon after.

I'm stumped. At this point I think it's the shift cable. Releasing the interlock solenoid didn't help either. Not the brake lights either as brake lights come on when brake is pressed.

Any idea on how to manually get it to another gear so owner can take to dealership to repair?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
There's a sensor on the brake pedal assembly itself that has probably gone back...brake interlock something.

I gotta go to work now so I can't look it up on majestic...sorry.

james'99

Reaction score
You could use the shift override in the meantime if you needed to if you didn't know already. Top left corner of the shift trim, pull out that small plastic insert and push the button inside with a small screwdriver. while you shift the car out of park.

hellfire127

Reaction score
You could use the shift override in the meantime if you needed to if you didn't know already. Top left corner of the shift trim, pull out that small plastic insert and push the button inside with a small screwdriver. while you shift the car out of park.

That did not fix the issue, still can't get it out of park w that as mentioned in original post.

They actually had it towed to Honda dealership and they've had it for the past 2 days, I called them today and they are having a hard time finding the issue as well....

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
without actually seeing the car, i'd guess it was the "neutral safety switch" although i couldn't find it on majestic's site. the shift interlock (thing next to the shift lever) is different.

hellfire127

Reaction score
without actually seeing the car, i'd guess it was the "neutral safety switch" although i couldn't find it on majestic's site. the shift interlock (thing next to the shift lever) is different.

Honda just called and said the whole shifter assembly needs to be replaced. Plus the ignition switch needs to be replaced too cause the magnetic inside that is broken. They want $418 plus tax for just the shift bracket replacement or $8xx for both parts replaced. $9xx with rekey lol

I told them to just replace the shifter assembly.

hellfire127

Reaction score
Had them just replaced the shifter bracket for $460. Car finally shifts out of park and key comes out too.

So glad I told them to just replace the bracket after they keep telling me the ignition switch needs to be replaced too. They said key still won't come out and you can't drive it w just the bracket replacement.......

Dealers....always trying to make an extra buck.

If it were my Honda then yeah I would've gone to junkyard but the owners needed the car running asap.

Back