CEL #9/p1381/p1382

mass-accord

Reaction score
U r having better luck then me I have been battling this for a year now.it comes and goes and when it comes my car stalls out after long rides but fires right back up,bucks a little to sometime the kid that I bought it from replaced the dizzy 3 times with junk yard ones and replaced ecu and had a Honda dealer check it code left for about a month and came right back then I bought the car.now its my problem .my next repair is the alt .

nsjames

Reaction score
So, I've not fully delved into the Honda engine management yet, but for the most part what I'm about to say applies to all sequential fuel injection.

There's a cam sensor and a crank sensor. Sometimes called a crank angle sensor, or crank position sensor.

Anyway they're almost always a simple hall effect sensor, reading notches in the flywheel/flexplate and a wheel timed to the cam. The ECU uses the two sgnals to determine the position of the crank, and using the information from the cam, to know when cylinder #1 is TDC on the ignition stroke. That's how the ECU "knows" where the pistons are and when to fire the ignition coil/injectors. usually when the CAM sensor goes it will limp, basically the ECU will take a guess as to where the piston is and keep trying to guess until the motor fires. You will experience longer than usual cranking times as the computer guesses.

When the CRANK sensor fails you will get a no start condition, because the ECU has no clue where the pistons are.

This is what the harness looks like:
getimage.php

It's $119 bucks at rockauto and listed under "CPS" in the ignition section. It looks like a massive PITA to change, but then they usually are because of where they must be located to get the data needed.

Quick fixes when you're dead on the side of the road:

unplug the connector that someone has illustrated and short the CPS side of the harness with a piece of wire. It will usually make them work again. If you want to troubleshoot it, use a multimeter and measure the resistance cold and hot. if it wigs out when it's hot (and that's when your no start/stumble is) then the sensor is failing and it WILL leave you stranded eventually.

Like I said, this was a generalization, but for the most part 90% of multiport fuel injections systems work like this, and from what little I've researched the Honda engine management it does as well.

Last edited:

jgw1986

Reaction score
So, I've not fully delved into the Honda engine management yet, but for the most part what I'm about to say applies to all sequential fuel injection.

There's a cam sensor and a crank sensor. Sometimes called a crank angle sensor, or crank position sensor.

Anyway they're almost always a simple hall effect sensor, reading notches in the flywheel/flexplate and a wheel timed to the cam. The ECU uses the two sgnals to determine the position of the crank, and using the information from the cam, to know when cylinder #1 is TDC on the ignition stroke. That's how the ECU "knows" where the pistons are and when to fire the ignition coil/injectors. usually when the CAM sensor goes it will limp, basically the ECU will take a guess as to where the piston is and keep trying to guess until the motor fires. You will experience longer than usual cranking times as the computer guesses.

When the CRANK sensor fails you will get a no start condition, because the ECU has no clue where the pistons are.

This is what the harness looks like:
getimage.php

It's $119 bucks at rockauto and listed under "CPS" in the ignition section. It looks like a massive PITA to change, but then they usually are because of where they must be located to get the data needed.

Quick fixes when you're dead on the side of the road:

unplug the connector that someone has illustrated and short the CPS side of the harness with a piece of wire. It will usually make them work again. If you want to troubleshoot it, use a multimeter and measure the resistance cold and hot. if it wigs out when it's hot (and that's when your no start/stumble is) then the sensor is failing and it WILL leave you stranded eventually.

Like I said, this was a generalization, but for the most part 90% of multiport fuel injections systems work like this, and from what little I've researched the Honda engine management it does as well.

pretty sure the cylinder position sensor is something completely different.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
before the posts from the past couple weeks got deleted, i had posted that i had this problem still, and i was just resetting the cel when it would come on, haha. but i noticed that it was starting to come back on sooner and sooner after i would reset it, so i figured it was a real problem and i should probably try to fix it, haha.

i talked with one of my technician friends at honda, and after he looked up the codes himself, he said he would think it was the ignition coil. i looked at the coil earlier this week and it didnt look too good, so i ordered a new one. i got it and put it on yesterday and cleared the cel, and so far it hasnt came back on...it was starting to come on within a day after i would reset it before i replaced the coil.​

Back