Chrispy's Upstate Coupe (99 EX w/5spd ULEV) - 56k

cmgreensr

Reaction score
No, that's good, take the BBB report to a lawyer, and you now have grounds and more proof for a legal suit to sue for lawyer, court, and repair costs :beer: It's just the first step in the process.

Also some people, such as myself, before doing business with a company I don't know, will check their status with the BBB. It's not so much the reports that concern me but how the company handled the report. Somewhere down the line, your report will affect their business, whether it helps you or not remains to be seen. I wish you luck though man. Persue it as far as you can.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
You know... I will be in Cali this upcoming week... maybe I should stop in before I do all that? But either way, that sounds like a great idea. I appreciate your help Dan!!

It's no problem, I've been through this process twice, once with USAA (Who fixed the issue at the BBB complaint) and then another with a bodyshop. Bodyshop didn't reply to the complaint, and BBB determined a negative report, took the case to a lawyer, took it to court, won, and they paid lawyer cost, court cost, and the cost to have the entire car repainted at another shop of my choosing, new headlights, and new windows. All this because they were supposed to paint my headlights with eyebrows and light blue tint and paint my center grill on the TL, instead over-spraying on the entire car and having debris in their paint. Good luck :beer:

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Well, I don't have any news about the whole hood/better business bureau fiasco unfortunately. I decided to let that go. And I'm hoping that the good stuff that's gone on since my last post has been good karma. So far:

1) The F23A swap is complete. After fixing a timing issue, the engine is running great. Fuel efficiency is surprisingly high, VTEC works, and it seems very healthy! However, there are a couple of issues with the engine, as I would've expected from a JDM Engine Depot long block that's been sitting for who knows how long; codes P0505 and I STILL have that damn P0325 that was plauging the F23A4 before the timing went! I've already ordered a new IACV to fix the P0505 (this one is cracked, causing a vacuum leak), and I've already replaced the knock sensor to try and get rid of the P0325 but it's still there! Any ideas as to what this can be?! And my other issue was a noise I've diagnosed as valve tapping. I put in slightly thicker oil (high mileage 10w30 vs. the recommended 5w30) with a fuckton of Lucas oil stabilizer as a temporary fix, but it barely seems to have done anything. The guy who did my swap claims he adjusted my valves, should I have him do them again?

2) I've replaced my sun damaged fenders and shitty, spraypainted aftermarket hood with OEM pieces I found at a junkyard. Came from a V6 coupe that was rear ended by what seemed to be a large asteroid lol. Hopefully everyone escaped unhurt.

3) The full stainless steel ebay exhaust finally started to develop that dreaded Honda rasp. I purchased the header/downpipe combo at the last minute when I tore a hole in my 2nd set (not including the OEM downpipe/header whose flexpipe already was torn open when I bought the car).. lowlife. And I risked buying a cheap cat back setup after reading a bunch of reviews on it that claimed it didn't rasp. It does. So I'm tossing the muffler and putting a brand new OEM muffler on it. Should sound pretty nice, and keep my car at an ideal volume level.

4) I found 5 of these (3x 17x9, 2x 17x10 - all on 205/45-17) for an absolute STEAL so I had to hop on them before the season ended. Pics are from previous owners car. He's not on here, and returning back to stock.
b62f5879-47c8-474e-9c8b-70b9c76f6bdb_zpsec6409ac.png

Well, with all that said, I'm looking at a pretty promising future for this car after all the bullpoop that happened since I got it. Fall down once, stand up twice... or however that goes. I'm definitely leaving out a few minor details but once she's picture worthy, I'll update the first page.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys! Couldn't read them all fast enough :rolleyes:

After replacing the MAP sensor and IACV, I went from the 4 CELs I had before the timing issue I mentioned above was fixed, to zero!! So now I'm doing well on that front.

I test fit the mystery wheels but of course, I couldn't move with those bulky 17x10s in the back. Can't wait to roll my fenders in the spring!

All I have to take care of before winter are the pesky power steering leak and replacing the coils with the stock suspension until the snow clears up.

In the meantime, I picked up a Personal wheel and NRG quick release combo for a great price off a fellow forum member, and I'll be getting the same sick 2 way alarm/remote start setup I had on my 5th gen installed tomorrow.

I can't believe I'm this close to finishing my car! Besides the new blackhousings I'm picking up, blacking out the chrome trim, and possibly a rear window visor, that's gonna be about it. Very exciting!

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I assume you will be pulling and rolling the rear fenders?

Good that you were able to get the codes cleared up.

Car sounds like it's running well.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
I assume you will be pulling and rolling the rear fenders?

Good that you were able to get the codes cleared up.

Car sounds like it's running well.
Yep! I thought I mentioned that up there? Oh well. That will be something I'll have to tackle once the weather is warmer.

Sorry for the late reply btw. I have been running around like a chicken without a head because for some odd reason my car overheated to nearly 350 degrees this weekend on a long road trip home and something went in my head.

20141018_160424_zpsmyqda8jq.jpg

On the search for a new head now. It seems as though everytime i fix something on this car, another thing pops up :banghead:

Last edited:

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
I had to dig up this old thread for a rather long but very entertaining story of how a combination of good car-ma (lol) and some plain old-fashioned luck led me back to my favorite car.

So after the head went, I figured enough was enough and it was time to sell or trade the car once I got the head replaced. I ended up trading it and $500 on my end for an all-motor Type-R/GSR hybrid-swapped EK sedan sleeper. Made over 200 to the wheels on pump gas in 2nd gear (no 3rd on that crap trans, but I eventually had it rebuilt - 1, 2, & 5 from an LS, 3 & 4 from a B16). She was a mean lol sleeper but I only got this car so I could flip it and get something better suited to my needs.. That ended up coming in the form of a nearly stock 05 civic coupe. This car is currently my daily. Now here's the good part.

I was minding my own business at work when I get a call from my mom saying so-and-so police dept has impounded my car. I said that's impossible because I'm looking right at it, and she says no.. The black one. I'm puzzled, naturally, so I go ahead and call the guy I traded it to. Thank goodness he answered.... He could've been a douche and left me with the bill. Basically, what ended up happening was that he never signed the title and had it parked in his driveway the whole time... Until about a week before this letter, that is. He had moved it onto the street and went away for the weekend... And that's when the city spotted it and impounded it. He could've easily just paid to get it out but he said "if you can get the money before I get back, its yours."

So now I have two cars :)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
haha wow, wonder why he never signed the title.

So all you paid to get the Accord back was the fee to get it out of the impound?

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
haha wow, wonder why he never signed the title.

So all you paid to get the Accord back was the fee to get it out of the impound?
Same here, but I'm not complaining! And yep.. It was there for a while So it ended up coming out to a grand flat after taxes.. and some haggling lol. I also had to re-register it since it had expired in February and temporarily insure it to drive it off the lot but that didn't cost much

Back