CKP sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfuerst

Reaction score
Well, I changed the timing belt over the weekend (it's the second time I've done this -- the last time was a few years ago, and I'd forgotten what a PITA it is) and I've run into a problem.

I've got a '99 6 cylinder model. After the change, it runs poorly at times, and I've got a crank position sensor code (0336) coming up in the OBD computer.

What are the odds that I've just knocked some wiring loose? Any particular spots to check?

If I have to replace the CKP sensor, can I get by just removing alt. belt and alternator, power steering pump, wheel, plastic bits, crank end ("CRACK!"), and lower timing belt cover (to get at the sensor) -- or do I have to go through the whole rigmarole of removing the timing belt (and the kazillion other bits that entails) to get at the sensor?

What are the odds of the CKP going bad? One thing that sticks in my mind is I didn't have any acetone (or lacquer thinner) or what have you to clean the belt area, so I used brake cleaner. Will this lunch the sensor? Will a dirty sensor read bad?

Thanks,

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back