cl-s swap. help with trans

accord2loud

Reaction score
so my buddy swapped out his 3.0 for the acura 3.2 including the 5speed auto trans. problem is we cant get the car to shift beyond pass third gear or get out of third gear if its in D. if we put it to manual shifting it just wont go pass third gear.
we are currently using the 3.0 ecm because we've heard it would work. we do have the 3.2 ecm but is there an easier way to put the 3.2 ecm without swapping the entire dash harness?

Jarrett

Reaction score
The transmission that came out of the 3.0CL is a 4-speed electronically-controlled automatic. The transmission that you installed is a 5-speed electronically-controlled automatic. The TCU is integrated into the ECU in both applications so not only are you trying to get an ECU that was designed to operate an anemic 200hp V6 to now control a high-revving 260hp V6, you're trying to get a TCU that controls a 4-speed transmission to control the shifting of 5 gears. It won't work. You'll need to install the CL-S ECU and come up with a solution for the immobilizer.

And there's no need for the follow-up post. At the time I posted your post was still the second one from the top in the section.

accord2loud

Reaction score
well with the cl-s ecu the car wont start. it wont get any fuel, any tip to get the car started?

accord2loud

Reaction score
the car cranks with the cl-s ecu but the injectors wont open. also the cl-s ecu has a second plug in port but we didnt swap over to the cl dash harness yet. would that make a difference?

FNCONE

Reaction score
*Immobilizer issue for the starting.
If you have access to the Original CL key place it next to a COPY of your honda key without the black part which has the chip in it. And wire the missing wires to plug E
*The extra plug on the drivers side of the ecu, If I remember correctly is for the cluster for the tip-tronic and some other small circuits (maybe even the gated shifter I don't remember off the top of my head) But also has something to do with immobilizer. SO check that out.

Tips are,
*Get a correct key or eliminate the Immo. (check plug E)
For starting check the plug E for the missing immo cables or key

*Difference depends if your ecu is reading the immo code, I will check the immo circuit diagram for you another time.

There is a couple of factors with the type-s
1. IMRC for intake
2. VSA is going to give you a check engine because our cars have TCS
3. By saying getting out of 3rd gear do you mean you have the cl cluster or just counting the shifts as you feel them?.... As mentioned above the ecu will fix the gears.

picture.php

picture.php

accord2loud

Reaction score
wow I really appreciate the help FNCONE, i'll definitely check back if you have any more info.

when I said its stuck in 3rd gear I man the trans will not shift into 4th or go back to 2nd or first. but if youre at a dead stop, it takes off in 2nd gear if I remember correctly.

instead of finding the original CL key, could we just swap the ignition tumbler?

Jarrett

Reaction score
The issue is not the physical key profile, but the immobilizer chip built into the key itself.

Back