clear coat of headlights peeling

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
what kind of grit sand paper should i use to wet sand??

and with the clear coat spray, do u just use the duplicolor clear coat?

Last edited:

Millz

Reaction score
what kind of grit sand paper should i use to wet sand??

I think you would be okay starting with 800 and moving onto 1000 and 1200 maybe 1500 to top it off

The deal is that you wouldn't want to use a grit that might be too low and end up marking the headlight too deep which might result in the polish having a very tough time getting rid of.

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
i tried looking at home depot to see if they have those grits of sand paper, but the highest they have is 600, where can u get that high of a grit sand paper?

Millz

Reaction score
a place i found it here was one that dealt with selling mixed paint for cars

also canadian tire but you guys dont have that store down there lol damn yankees

call around and see what you can find

matty2013

Reaction score
I did the wet sand deal last year, and they got a bit hazy over the winter, so last week I did them with polishing compound and buffer and then sealed with Mothers Step Two sealant, and they look brand new again :)

Theory208

Reaction score
If the headlights aren't clear coated, and just dull, take a buffer to it with Meguiers plastic X. That stuff is awesome and smells good too. Takes about 3 min. You can fix scratched cd's with it also.

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
okay i wetsanded one of my headlights and looks even worse. it looks all faded now and no clear like b4. like it was clear but u can see the clear coat part coming off. but what i did was wet sanded it with 1000 going left to right, then wet sand 1000 grit again going up and down, and then wet sand 1500 grit left to right and then i used the plasticx and nothing......

help me out guys

mr. smith

Reaction score
you might want to try rubbing compound and a good wax. if you have a decent drill get one of those attachments that have the sponge disk. they sell headlight kits specifically for that and has them included. that should clear them up and save your arm.

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
so yea i pretty much effed up my headlight lens.. so wat can i do to fix it

_MG_2278.jpg

so pretty much i only worked on the my left headlight only by using the steps everyone said

heres a before shot..
_MG_2281.jpg

and after

_MG_2280.jpg

Back