Codes from my check engine

islandaccord

Reaction score
Thanks bro's im gonna take some time on sunday to look into every thing, and im going to get a pre-smog see what he say and compare tha info from all of u guys and compare tha info from autozone cuz I still gottah take it to tha reff so they can check it, and so they can wipe it off my ticket but yeah thank all of yah for tha info.

Islandaccord

poff1986

Reaction score
The code po420 for the cat means the secondary o2 sensor (the one in the cat) detected the catalyst is not functioning properly, the O2 sensor is not the problem, that would throw a code of its own. Honda had a service bulletin warranty extension for 8years 80k on these because they commonly go bad. If you take it to a honda dealership see how much they will charge you for it, If their a good dealership and your close to 80k Range from 60-110k on your car they may hook you up and honda will pay for 1/2 cuz its so common on these. As for your P0401 I would replace the EGR valve itself on your car (assuming its a 4cyl) The EGR ports are built into the intake manifold, you would be spending waaay too much time getting into the wierd angles to clean the port. I would replace the EGR valve, or atleast take it off, clean the inside of the valve, and scrape out the port as best as possible, then vacuum out the gunk, put it back together see if it codes again. NOTE: its gunna run like crap after you clean the EGR out, but giver some gas while you start it and itl clean out. GOOD LUCK!

fmanalopr

Reaction score
Ok Im from PR and here is common to remove the cat. So I did......could this be the reason of having the same bank 1 cat insufficient what ever code? Cause both my o2 sensors are brand new.

poff1986

Reaction score
Ok Im from PR and here is common to remove the cat. So I did......could this be the reason of having the same bank 1 cat insufficient what ever code? Cause both my o2 sensors are brand new.

Yes, you need to get an O2 simulator for the "cat" oxygen sensor. Just putting a new regular sensor in will still code because its sending signals of NOX and unburnt fuel to the ECU when they are over emissions limits they will code, thus ur MIL is on, buying an o2 simulator tells the ECU that everything is fine and dandy, thus no code.

green_machine

Reaction score
i know this is a old post but my problem is the same although i did change the CAT and the EGR valve and i have cleaned the EGR port on two seperate occasions i am still showing a CEL code p401. i need to pass emmisions soon otherwise i just bought a $2000 paper weight.

Back