Comparing a couple cars, input? *bought - page 2*

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
insurance should cover what the car is worth. not what a dealer would scam you with to buy it from you :lawl: around retail is what i got for my frs, plus i had modification coverage so i had a little more added on for what was on the car when it was totaled.

i have progressive, and i went through them. they paid me for my car pretty quickly, within a week, and since i wasn't at fault i think they went to the other drivers insurance company to recoup what they paid me.

sorry to hear about the accident though, but at least everyone was ok.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
damn... at least everyone is safe! what r u getting for a replacement?

Budget is pretty low, a tree fell on our house that same evening (literally as I was leaving with my daughter to go to the scene) so we have that expense too now. No joke, ridiculous day. It was storming bad here that evening. Anyway, thinking an 06-10 Odyssey right now. I will hate it, but you can find them with low miles (for a Honda) and right now we just need practicality on a budget. And space, since we have a 3rd child on the way.

Personally I'd love to get into a wagon but none have 3rd row seating these days. I loved the backward facing 3rd seat my parent's woody wagon had growing up haha.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
insurance should cover what the car is worth. not what a dealer would scam you with to buy it from you :lawl: around retail is what i got for my frs, plus i had modification coverage so i had a little more added on for what was on the car when it was totaled.

i have progressive, and i went through them. they paid me for my car pretty quickly, within a week, and since i wasn't at fault i think they went to the other drivers insurance company to recoup what they paid me.

sorry to hear about the accident though, but at least everyone was ok.
Alright thanks. Unfortunately she was cited at fault but apparently our insurance has one of those "free first time accident waivers" so that's one good thing here.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Alright looking for a new to us car...needs to have a 3rd row, somewhere around 100k miles or ideally less, and be reliable. Any suggestions of 3rd row vehicles? I don't love the idea of a minivan but even I cannot deny how practical they are haha. Would much prefer an SUV/crossover to a minivan, but we gotta do what makes sense at this point. If someone made a wagon with a 3rd row I'd be all over that, but don't want something from the 90's. :lawl: Have 2 kids with a 3rd on the way. :hide:

A few criteria:
- $10k budget
- Around 100k miles or less
- 2nd row needs to either be captain's chairs or the middle seat removable for easier 3rd row access
- reliable
- good safety ratings (guessing most vans/suvs are pretty safe)
- FWD preferred (AWD can be complex/costly to maintain)

We are pretty open, currently researching:
- 2006-2010 Odyssey
- 2010+ Chrysler T&C
- Toyota Highlander?
- Chevrolet Traverse/Buick Enclave?

Ruled out:
Lexus GX470 - it's AWD and has air suspension, both those things scare me. GX460 is out of reach.
GMC Acadia - apparently it had timing chain and trans wave plate issues until 2013, those models are too pricey
Honda Pilot - only available with 2nd row bench seat as far as I have seen
Volve XC90 - apparently the middle seat in 2nd row unbolts but is hooked up to sensors which would need bypassed
Ford Flex - only available with 2nd row bench seat as far as I have seen, and read something about water pump going bad and ruining engines
Acura MDX - only AWD
Anything German

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Probably what it will come down to in all reality. The '05-10s just look so bloated to me, especially in front. But no 99-04 because transmission, and '11+ is above our budget. Greg was telling me models equipped with VCM are trouble (piston rings), which is apparently '08-10 EX-L and Touring. So looking for '06-07 any trim (don't want 1st MY), or '08-10 EX or lower trim I guess.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
2010-2017 ones are bulletproof... the gen prior had transmission issues

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I thought Honda finally fixed the autos in 2005 or 2006? Haven’t heard that about 2005-10 models. 2011+ are out of the budget it seems.

I have to admit I was tempted by a 2004 with 154k miles that has been meticulously maintained, it was black with gray leather and had the entertainment package, etc. I just like how small they are and they look nice and simple. And I’d like to think if that trans made it to 154k miles then perhaps it was one of the good ones. But who knows haha.

Back