Coolent over flow problem

Revels64

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have had this problem before. When I am driving I get small antifreeze over flows. It is right from under the rad cap. I have no leaks, fans work, the temp gauge says the car is not over heating. I thought it was just a bad cap so I replaced it. No dice.. It happens when I am reving the car high (4 grand plus) . But it also happens with daily driving. I had a ton of fluid pour out one day from this problem when I was showing my friends the engine bay. So I did refill with warm water. Help please!

picture.php

Revels64

Reaction score
Its something bigger :/ Had the car running for a while reving 3000rpm. Nothing, it would not over flow. Turned the heat on, and I get smoke from below the intake manifold.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have had this problem before. When I am driving I get small antifreeze over flows. It is right from under the rad cap. I have no leaks, fans work, the temp gauge says the car is not over heating. I thought it was just a bad cap so I replaced it. No dice.. It happens when I am reving the car high (4 grand plus) . But it also happens with daily driving. I had a ton of fluid pour out one day from this problem when I was showing my friends the engine bay. So I did refill with warm water. Help please!

picture.php

Did you replace the rad cap with an OEM one or an aftermarket one? I'd suggest an OEM one as certain aftermarket caps are build to hold less/more pressure then the aftermarket is..

You should not be refilling your coolant with warm/cold/or lukewarm water. Water freezes. Coolant does not. Unless you live in an area where temps never drop below 0 DO NOT use just water. Tap water also has minerals which can cause issues in your cooling system. If you must use deionized water and mix it half/half with concentrated antifreeze or buy the premixed one in a jug.

That being said, the possibility of a hairline crack in your radiator neck does exist causing a leak.

Its something bigger :/ Had the car running for a while reving 3000rpm. Nothing, it would not over flow. Turned the heat on, and I get smoke from below the intake manifold.
If you're getting smoke(white) from under the manifold then one of your heater coolant hoses has a leak(inlet or outlet), or the main hose going to the waterpump has sprung a leak. The main hose does have a TSB for it leaking in the inlet towards the pump and requires a new hose, orings to be installed.

UTIaccord

Reaction score

picture.php

That sir sounds like a sticking thermostat if u have no hairline cracks, i would start by checking for cracks as previously suggested and if not i would test the thermostat. you can do this by pulling your thermostat out and putting it in a pot of water with a thermometer in it and heating it up on the stove to the temperature printed on the thermostat (if not printed most open at around 180-190 degrees F) but watch the thermometer and once it reaches around that temp the thermostat should open, if not u have a faulty thermo

had this happen to me, the thermo sticks closed so when the coolant gets hot it expands and exceeds the pressure rating of your cap

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Do you have a plugged up expansion tank system? If you take that little hose of the left side of the cap, can you blow air thru it - carefully of course - you don't want to be ingesting anti freeze. Low pressure only, don't use shop air.
Leak from the expansion tank hose?

Back