Custom led tails...

98eksedan

Reaction score
Figured i would start a thread to keep track in case anybody else wants to try this also...

I am starting on my led tails i have gathered a ton of info on how to mount/wire them up. I am not just doing standard led tails, these will be utilizing dual brightness tail/brake as well as a 5-7 step sweeping blinker and led reverse lights. I picked up my 555 timers and leds yesterday and will be ordering my 4017 chips to control the blinkers.... i will be starting the prototype Saturday and will post pics of my process along the way. Feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Cool project, have yet to see someone fab a set for the sedan. Should be interesting.

Are you going the route of smaller, tightly knit LED's or bigger, more widely spaced LED's? Either way this can't be cheap considering how big the sedan tail lenses are.

98eksedan

Reaction score
Im doing the prototype with bigger leds if i dont like the look ill redo them with smaller ones. Parts shouldnt be that bad i should have about 50 bux in parts if i dont switch leds when im done lkl

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
$50 in parts total? Doesn't seem like much for quality LED's in the brake/turn signal/reverse light lenses for both tail lights. There's a lot of area to cover for sedan housings. I'll wait to see some parts and progress though, curious how you'll do it.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
$50 in parts total? Doesn't seem like much for quality LED's in the brake/turn signal/reverse light lenses for both tail lights. There's a lot of area to cover for sedan housings. I'll wait to see some parts and progress though, curious how you'll do it.

Don't take this as disrespect, OP, we just know of other people who have done Coupe LED tails, and the price was pretty high. It's hard to imagine, based on that, that the larger sedan tails would be less.

Still, it's a better love story than Twilight.

Carry On.

:coffee:

juiCyyaccOrd

Reaction score
Don't take this as disrespect, OP, we just know of other people who have done Coupe LED tails, and the price was pretty high. It's hard to imagine, based on that, that the larger sedan tails would be less.

Still, it's a better love story than Twilight.

Carry On.

+1

Workin' on an LED project and things add up -- individual LED bulbs, load resistors, bread board, wires etc...and stuff IN CASE shyt happens...

I like what you did with the twilight thing, Derek, I lol'd bahaha

98eksedan

Reaction score
That price will deff vary once i see how many leds i will need and how far apart i want to put them, and no disrespect taken i understand that my price figure could be way off, but i am trying to keep my price down also so that i can justify doing it instead to just purchasing some led tails but like i said this is a work in progress so we will see how it goes.:thumbup:

Mikey

Reaction score
Technically, most if not all, the sedan's light functions are on the outer tails, correct? So save yourself the time, and money, and just do the outer tails.

Back