dash lights this wire is causing issues look***

D-Ramey

Reaction score
okay guys so i couldnt figure out why my tail lights and dash lights werent working i changed the fuse it kept blowing finally stopped i hate my tail lights back but no dash lights!

so today i did some research it could be my muiltplex unit well i got to messing around with the stereo and this ORANGE illumination wire i believe grounded out and turned everything back on? but shut my radio off? the question is will i have to ground it out to get my lights but and whats causing it to stay off ? is there a simple fix for this issue its not hooked up!!!!

FNCONE

Reaction score
I'am going to try and help. But I'am going to ask a few questions, cause I'am not sure what you are asking for.
1. DO your vanity lights work or any dashboard lights?
2. Your parking lights work?
3. Did you wire up the illumination correctly? there is red and red/black on the OEM wiring.
**red/black being positive**
4. what do you mean when you ground the orange wire the radio shuts off (sound or completely off)
5. When the thieves stole your radio they cut a bunch of wires? If it was cut how did you repair it?... maybe a nicked wire is shorting out.

Here are the illumination diagrams
I need to know if you have parking lights and tail lights, because if that is working your relay and drivers multiplex should be fine.

Lets start there.... let me know...

picture.php

picture.php

D-Ramey

Reaction score
I'am going to try and help. But I'am going to ask a few questions, cause I'am not sure what you are asking for.
1. DO your vanity lights work or any dashboard lights?
2. Your parking lights work?
3. Did you wire up the illumination correctly? there is red and red/black on the OEM wiring.
**red/black being positive**
4. what do you mean when you ground the orange wire the radio shuts off (sound or completely off)
5. When the thieves stole your radio they cut a bunch of wires? If it was cut how did you repair it?... maybe a nicked wire is shorting out.

Here are the illumination diagrams
I need to know if you have parking lights and tail lights, because if that is working your relay and drivers multiplex should be fine.

Lets start there.... let me know...

picture.php

picture.php

sorry ill be more clear okay so the other day coming home from work the dashlights went out and cars started flashing me i notice the running light were also out so i pulled over checked the fuses and replaced the one on the passenger side it blew 3 times until i shut the car off and tried again it was fine

next day i had running lights but now dash lights so whatever and its still like that

tonight i was messing with the radio and that orange wire hit some medal and turned everything back on but shut my radio off when i did it! the thing is ive never had this issue before and i installed the radio 4 weeks ago but i did some reading and noticed the muiltplex could of went bad? and thanks for ur help

D-Ramey

Reaction score
the thiefs took the harnness and all no cut wires so whatever i bought a new harness from walmart and bought a new stereo and wired a new one up ive done 50 or plus in my life and never had a issue hook that or tvs or anything up its just weird this is happening now before im about sell it lol

FNCONE

Reaction score
Dam could be your drivers multi if you want remove it and open it check for burned areas around resistors....when mine blew it had a burnt mark the size of a dime! If it doesnt look burnt let me know we Will try and power the dash lights to see if the circuit is complete.....
And I just asked if the radio was wired correctly just incase, your harness looks clean so thats good, I didnt mean you dont know how to wire a radio. Just going thru steps to troubleshoot

Last edited:

Slowfinger

Reaction score
What FNCONE said about the multi sounds like the culprit, but only because the orange wire may of blew it. I usually never hook up the orange wire, instead just put a piece of heatshrink on it so it doesn't touch anything then zip-tie it to the other wires, so it doesn't go anywhere either.

Back