DH`s 2000 coupe

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Amazing progress. Looks like you're doing everything right the first time so as to avoid potential issues down the road. I'd be interested to know all the parts that needed custom fabbed for this swap, just to have a picture of what it all looks like.

Keep it up man, this is awesome.

DH48

Reaction score
Amazing progress. Looks like you're doing everything right the first time so as to avoid potential issues down the road. I'd be interested to know all the parts that needed custom fabbed for this swap, just to have a picture of what it all looks like.

Keep it up man, this is awesome.

Well i can make a list and take picture of the custom part after i have finished them all.

Funny thing is that did you guys know that a NSX engine is a direct bolt-on to any J and C transmission (C27)....apart from the flywheel that it is dual clutch vs single but the fly wheel is mostly just swap out for the J . Soo the only mount you would have to fabricate is the rear mount and passenger side (front would just need a small modification )so no custom axle, shift linkage etc. But i think there will be a height issue as my NSX transmission is way lower then the AT was on the J30 and i am needed to lower the alternator so the hood would not hit.....you could relocate the alternator with a J transmission. Would like to see someone try the NSX in a accord with the J32 6-speed

Some reading: A J engine on a NSX transmission: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176807-The-quot-J-quot-Swap

DH48

Reaction score
Update:

Can now say that the first startup was successful. Only problem is i have no video to post and it was for just 10 sec as the exhaust was mostly missing (loud as hell) and i did not have MTF in the transmission. So as not to damage the transmission the test was short. The test however confirmed that the wiring and engine is OK and working.

Now that i know it starts up i have jumped the gun and started working on the body and paint.
Weekend plan is to remove the front subframe, brake booster then sand and prime the engine bay. Will be getting some work done after work on the following weekdays also. Already working on the rear pumper (Should have that primed by friday). If anyone here can tell be were one would be able to find rubber strip that is on the skirt OEM skirt so not to scratch the pumper, let me know. The factory strip is damaged in some paced and needs replacing

I should also get a quotation for the paint job this week. Paint will be NH-797M
Rims i will get painted a darker shade of "racing bronze"

Lucky for me the body itself is in good shape with almost no dents so just need to sand and prime it. Yes i am doing the bodywork myself. The cost to get a car painted without doing anything myself is around 2000 euro. And that is for a OK paint job.

The car has been striped of most of the parts. Only things left to remove are the side windows and a few trim parts. I had to leave them on for the time as i needed to was the car and remove the dirt and tar. Also the salt that spray on the roads during winter.

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

phi1542

Reaction score
Very nice! I've been waiting for so long I cant wait for it to be finished!!!! Plans are solid and I'm sure it's gonna come out looking great haha :D

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You must have had a big smile when it started up and ran. That is a major obstacle, hopefully that gives you good motivation to keep plowing away. Things are coming along!

Try asking Sil2DrV6 about the rubber molding strips.

Maybe I missed this but what about the weight of the C motor, is it heavier than the J or about the same? If it's heavier you might have to change the ratio of the front vs rear suspension, making the front stiffer than it would be normally?

DH48

Reaction score
Still have a smile on my face.
Now only problem is will the drive shafts hold up after it is finished.
Thanks for the info on the rubber molding. Will send a PM to Sil2DrV6

About the weight. This sis what i have found:
NSX Engine
Engine weight = 425 lbs
Transmission weight = 110 lbs

J32A Engine
Engine weight = 298 - 301 lbs
Transmission weight = 102 lbs (estimated)

Soo about 60kg of extra weight in the front.

This is info found via google. Strange part is that for some reason with the automatic transmission the J30a1 had it seemed to be around the same weight. The A/T on the J30a1 weights a ton. The NSX transmission i was able to light on my own. I am thinking thath the weight dif might be aount 40-55kg (will all accessories ) 90-125 lbs. But as far as weight ratio goes i am still not sure on what path i am going to take...the easy way would be to just go find a honda legend with AWD and just by the rear subframe with the dif. , calipers, fuel tank, etc. then find a Acura TL AWD 6 speed manual transmission and propshaft (transmission is plug and play so will get some extra weight on the rear + 4wd. The harder path is to get the rear of the awd car but go with a battery pack, el. motor, converter, control unit etc. (a hybrid solution) and program it to work in the range of 0-50km/h it would assist the C30a3 (city driving, heavy traffic). I have been reading about it but at the moment there are more questions then answers. A hybrid solution would some way be a better solution for weight ratio as i can add more weight (more or less battery packs ) at the rear of the car.

But as for now i just want to get it finished and see how the C30a3 works out for the CG2 :)

DH48

Reaction score
Still not dead. However thinking about how long this thing is taking i sometimes wish i was.

So were am I ? Still not finished.
Mostly due to work and construction of the house were i am also building this project.

Also last year ended with a huge engine bay paint fiasco. Something got in the clear coat and this is what i ended up with. (paint boiled up under the clear coat). Before you ask anything primer, paint and clear coat was two part paint and should have not reacted like that)
P_20150802_123002.jpg

You could imagine how pissed I was. Took me a month to just get back to working on her and this time i had to remove all of the paint to prevent the same thing again.
Anyway as of today engine bay painted and engine is in and am adding more parts to the car.
DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0599.jpg

DSC_0605.jpg

DSC_0607.jpg

DSC_0608.jpg

The front axle is a full refurb. apart from the bearings and joints that are new. All the rust covered metal parts i cleaned using some water, washing soda, some engineering skills and a 12v battery charger.

P_20151024_092123.jpg

Result of 28h in the bath
P_20151025_140034.jpg

A lot of waiting and after paint
P_20151107_143137.jpg

All installed. (using stock shocks until car is painted. Then will install BC coils)
DSC_0606.jpg

DSC_0601.jpg

Had to open the wiring loom up again as i am adding the NSX cruise control and also will be installing a Innovate Oil pressure/temperature sensor.

Plans are: Will start working on the exhaust pipes (down-pipe) on wednesday. I am doing the downpipes for now as i am still planing on installing a X pipe. So that mean two racing cat.s and resonators. After that can install A/C pump and make modification to the front subframe. etc etc. There is still a lot of work to be done but i am glad that now i am butting parts back.

More updates in a week or two.

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
great progress. thx for the update while maintaining a busy schedule. I know how hard that is first hand to try your best to have good time management.

Varnell

Reaction score
Can't believe it's been a year since I last commented on this. Loving the progress depsite the setbacks.

I've had my project car for a year and a half and it's only been driveable for about two months of that, so I feel your pain (to a lesser extent). It's hard pouring time, research, and money into a build and at the end of the day still not be able to drive it.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have been wondering about this, very happy to see an update. Sorry about the paint fiasco, can't imagine the frusteration there. Great progress though, putting parts back on the car and seeing things come together must provide some satisfaction finally. :)

Back